Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * House of the Festivas *

Heres an interesting story.

So for the longest time, there has been this house by one of my gf's house that has 3 Festivas. a red GL auto, and two 5 speed Ls (one silver and the other white.) For the past 6 months I have passed by without the courage to say anything. Then there was an ad on craigslist about parts of a Festiva for sale. I quickly replied but didnt get a response for a week. I gave up on that and realized ebay/ here might be my only options to get parts for my baby. After the week I get a response on the ad and call. A very nice lady said to come over the next day(that day being today). I was nervous as hell because I didn't want to seem overzealous (think thats it). So me and my gf shows up to the house and the lady walks out. I see parts basically scattered, the plastic interior in the dirt where it was soaked from rain and a counsel in the car. She quickly lets me look around and talks to my gf. I ask about why the engine was out and she explained that it was hit by a lady but couldnt do anything because of no insurance. So they took out the motor because the motor in the silver car was shot. She asks if i am a mechanic, i reply with a "No, but I am trying to be. I then switched subjects to the red GL. It has 111,*** miles on her and nice body(normal faded red.) SHe starts it up and i see white smoke out of the exhaust(rad fluid leak). She said it hasd no probs, no leaks, so maybe thats normal for a car not started for a while? Then she stated that thet reverse didnt work, something about the car would die after being reverses. She said it could be the fuse or the reverse switch.
    Engine looks clean. She then says they cant keep the cars.

Her husband seems to be very mechanically inclined as well.

Then comes the prices of the cars. This is where it gets depressing I asked about the parts car and said I just wanted a few things like batt tray, counsel, and grill. She doses off and then asks my gf about her name, school etc. So waiting for a response, she says that she could sell parts for 100$, 200$ blah blah blah. I then realize maybe that i won't get any thing for a good price. Then I say what about the GL, She says name a price. I say "ok, what about 300$.) SHe squints then says she doesnt want anything under 1,000$. I then procede to my car to get out quickly. Noticing that I might not be interested, she then tells me to look at the car again. I agree then view it a bit longer.

I ask when can i come over again to talk about the cars. She replys that she will be going outerisland for a week, leaving this friday. Then she says take your time, they aint going nowhere . I say thank you and we leave. For the next 3 hours I cant get the gl outta my head, contemplating whether to be honest and just offer 300$ for the GL and seehow it goes.

I don't want to waste anyones time so i figure that I will offer the 300$ for the GL and see where it goes from there

or just not waste my time and move on. I am contempt with my car but IDK.

Sorry so long. MY longest so far but figured it was worth telling.

I want to know your honest opinions on what i should do.
    Last edited by collegeboi; 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM.

I had a similar experience with a capri xr2. The women told me this big story how it ran great when the engine was OK and that the turbo was brand new and cost her $3000 to have put in. So, I'm thinking shes gonna want out the nose for it.

I gave her my number and said I'd think about it. I pushed it outa my mind and a month later she calls and says I can have it for $500.

So, my advice. If it's really going nowhere, she'll get sick of staring at it soon enough. If $300 is all you want to pay, then tell her that's all you CAN pay. Bring only $300 and you really can only spend $300.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by sketchman; 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Yah, thats true. She has said that she spent over 1,000$ on the red car. I also dont want her to feel like I am ripping her off either. She seemed almost desperate about getting rid of it so I will just wait and see. In the meantime, the Corolla project is put on hold........

Also, dont know about the parts car as well, saying 100$ here,200$ there. With no trans, clutch, engine in the car. Hopefully she doesnt want 500$ for it.
      Last edited by collegeboi; 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
        I also dont want her to feel like I am ripping her off either. She seemed almost desperate about getting rid of it so I will just wait and see.
        If you offer $300, and if she says no, give her your number in case she changes her mind and walk away, if she truly is desparate to sell, she'll call and accept your offer

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^^ i got a guy to from 500 down to 175 cause he was moving that day

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

It doesn't matter that she dropped $1k on it... Is it worth that? Probably not. Give your best offer and that's all you can do.
            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

An afterthought. Flash the $300 when you offer it. A sure $300 looks better than the car continuing to rot in the yard hoping for $1000.

I guess that's my 3rd cent. :lol:
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Then I say what about the GL, She says name a price. I say "ok, what about 400$.) SHe squints then says she doesnt want anything under 1,000$.
                I don't want to waste anyones time so i figure that I will offer the 300$ for the GL and see where it goes from there

or just not waste my time and move on.
                If you offered $400 and she said no why would you think she would go down to $300?
                ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

I didnt realize the 4 till now, Yah i changed it, thnx scott. Was a long post.

Comment

Leave the $400 offer on the table and just wait her out,don't offer anymore than you think it's worth.
                    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                    99 Dodge Caravan SE
                    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I sent her an email saying that I am offering 300$ (never said 4), for the red gl being that it needs to update reg,safety, no reverse, and faded.

I also offered 75$ for the parts car because of no engine/tranns/ tailights and major dents.

Been completely honest saying that thats all I have because of school.

Told her to sit on the offer and to lmk as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X