Festiva Frantica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva Frantica

Last Saturday I wandered into the “auto recycling center” close by looking for an A/C condenser for my Dakota. There in the third row of cars being staged for the crusher sat a sapphire blue 93 Festiva. Despite the body shell being in better condition than my 90 blue, it was in pretty rough shape.

The interior is completely trashed. Like someone cleaned a paint roller inside. Seats ripped, door panels peeled away and broken. The head lights and other exterior lights were broken. The doors had been kicked or otherwise dented too. Somebody must have had a nasty break-up with spouse or significant other. Ouch! A sad sight it was. It had some of the things I’ve been wanting/needing. And, it had cruise control.

Monday, I removed the cruise control system and looked over the remaining needs and what tools would be necessary. Tuesday I came back with a generator, power cut-off wheel and a saws-all. Though it broke my heart to do it, I cut away both left and right body sections between the doors and the rear wheel. Got a few plastic parts, and other small items. I started removing the front cross-member but at the time I had no way to hold the engine up after it was cut out. Did what I could to prepare for the surgery the next day.

The cutting so far fried two cheap Chinese angle grinders, all the c/off wheels I had with me, and a pack of cheap hack saw blades for the saws-all. The cross-member was tough. I wanted as much as possible, end to end.

I almost got the windshield out but a snag with the trim removal tool produced a slow moving crack from one corner to the opposite. Darn the luck I need a replacement. I was finished for the day. I left telling the lady in the office I’d be back Wednesday (today). She said I better hurry. The first row of cars was gone and the second was being loaded on the truck by time I left Tuesday.

So, today I gassed-up the generator, brought a 2 X 6 and a chain, fresh blades and my DeWalt grinder. And extracted the cross-member. Not an easy task laying my skinny 72-year-old bones on the big 2 inch gravel but I did it. Three days of nice weather and low humidity was kind to me.

That was it. I looked around, grabbed a good-looking OEM steel wheel and a dash bezel, and the inside rear view mirror, and more miscellaneous stuff. Just last night I was reading on the Forum about fresh air intake mods so I grabbed air inlet box. I don't have a lot of space to store stuff. But, I didn’t have the heart to leave the radiator and fan behind so I snatched it up at the last minute. The woman in the office couldn't believe "that little thing" was a car radiator!

I had other commitments this afternoon. I had to call it quits. So sadly, the 93 may be on the truck by now and is going to the crusher Thursday or Friday with an engine, and five speed, one good window regulator, and e-brake cable to mention a few remaining good parts. Strange the axles were pulled but laying in the dirt.

For a while I’ve fantasized chopping a Festiva. I had a 55 Chevy PU chopped and from that experience I know that another roof and pillars would be needed to pull it off properly. So there goes a perfectly good roof into the giant jaws of destruction. Oh well, that’s more work than I have the facility, cash resources, or patients for anyhow.

I was happy to have dropped less than a C note - including the condenser - for all I got.

And yes, the Dakota A/C system was still holding pressure. Good score.
    Last edited by CharlieZ; 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Working...
X