Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I learned buying my used Festiva (and other used cars...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I learned buying my used Festiva (and other used cars...)

1) Sellers lie.
    2) If an Odo has been replaced, they place a sticker indicating such on the b-pillar part of the driver's side door. Miss that, and you miss an important piece of info.
    3) You can mask cigarette smoke for a short while, but eventually it will return... with a vengeance. And always AFTER the vehicle has been purchased.
    4) Sellers lie.
    5) "Title in hand" doesn't always mean "title in hand". Also, even if they do have the title, it won't necessarily be in their name. Or signed.
    6) Some folks don't have bank accounts and/or don't know what Money Orders or Cashier's Checks are.
    7) Never buy on an impulse.
    8 ) Sellers lie.

That's all. Just venting.
    Last edited by thirdman; 06-26-2008, 12:12 PM.
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

By the way...

Sellers lie.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I hate sellers who lie. Clear title to some sellers mean that they have the title in their name. Clear title to me means it is not a salvage title, it is in their name, and no one else has a lien against it.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Oh, and I also learned:

9) The only way I could find to get cigarette smoke stink out of the seats is to clean them thoroughly with Simple Green and then literally SOAK them in bleach. Takes a few days to dry out, but it helps.
        10) Some things cannot be saved. Sometimes you just have to rip out the carpet.
        11) Ripping out carpet can reveal may deeply hidden evils...
        12) Sun visors are a wire hoop with firm foam in the middle wrapped in vinyl. The foam absorbs stinky stuff. An exacto knife will remove said foam toot sweet.
        Last edited by thirdman; 06-26-2008, 12:11 PM.
        Thirdman

Comment

I've heard the way to get rid of unpleasant smells (particularly dog and baccy) is to leave an open container of fresh grass clippings in the the car overnight. I've never needed to try it.

Comment

Febreeze has always worked for me.
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

febreeze... grass clippings... I will try anything. So far I have used: carpet cleaner, Clorox wipes, simple green, Windex, carpet fresh, straight bleach, Lysol, water+soap.

Next up is kerosene plus an open flame...

p.s. I am horridly allergic to tobacco smoke. Usually a single molecule will set me to sneezing, so I am wildly disappointed that I got fooled on this one...
              Thirdman

Comment

#2 Any monkey with a philips screwdriver can replace the instrument cluster (odo) 90% of the time there wont be a sticker. (like mine)
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

Febreeze, man! Febreeze is what you need!
                  Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                  Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                  White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                  White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                  Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                  Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                  Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                  White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

man I've been in some smoke stinking cars. The one thing that gets the smell out every time is..... time.
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

ODO-Ban, works well. Have also had success with dryer fabric softener sheets. (Those things also repel mice, proven to work for me).
                      Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

Comment

Just in case anyone is keeping score at home, the smell became worse and worse as the days went on.

I tore out the carpet completely. I removed and rebuilt the visors. I threw out the back seat. I pulled the seats and Simple-Greened the interior, followed by Clorox Cleanup Bleach. I hit the headliner with 409, Simple Green, Bleach and hot soapy water. I spayed TONS of lysol in the air inlets while running the fan on High.

I then diassembled the seats down to the foam. I soaked the foam in hot water and laundry detergent, and squeezed and re-soaked until the squeezings ran clear. This took approximately a dozen cycles for each piece of foam. You don't want to know what the initial squeezings looked like! I machine washed the upper and lower seat covers three times each in hot water. (I wouldn't recommend that unless you are desperate, as it roughs things up a quite a bit.)

I hosed down and scrubbed the seat frames and repainted the rusty bits. I also lubed 'em up for good measure, added some foam to the seats and put new covers over the whole mess.

Success!

It was a horrible job. I did learn that you can tumble-dry a seat cushion if you monitor it so that it doesn't get TOO hot.

UGH.

The Stinktiva lives.
                        Last edited by thirdman; 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM.
                        Thirdman

Comment

I feel you on the stinks. I ended up with a piece o' crap Voyager after my uncle passed away last winter. Thing stunk to high heaven. Can't even really describe the odor. This is the one that I posted about earlier that actually had stuff growing on the floor where the third row seat should have been. Anyway, was told to try scattering coffee around, leaving it for a few days and then to vaccume them up. Did as instructed and all I ended up with was adding coffee to the other odors in the van.

Oh, and seller do occasionally lie.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

i smoked for 5-6 years (i've quit now) and my festiva doesn't smell like it, then again i wasn't a heavy smoker either

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

My Stinktiva (tm) did not smell only like smoke... but a fascinating combination of ammonia, wet dog, smoke, urine and a sickly-sweet nastiness...
                              Thirdman

Comment

Working...
                              X