Spark plug problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug problem.

I just replaced about 2 weeks ago my spark plugs with AC Delco Platinums. in my 2nd plug form the left the plug was loose causing it to be covered in oil and making a weird rattle sound. i put on a o ring and the sound went away. A week later the noise came back and i check the plug but it was tight. Help. I'm not loosing and performance but its driving me nuts.
    :protest:1990 Ford Festiva

Covered in oil? I would guess you have a bad valve cover gasket, as for the rattling?
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Is the rattling actually knock? Does it sound like gravel in a can?
      Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

take out those platinums!! use regular copper core plugs in our engines, they're not designed for platinum
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          take out those platinums!! use regular copper core plugs in our engines, they're not designed for platinum
          Platinum plugs will not hurt the engine...... they are not necessary, but not detrimental either
          Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

I wont see a difference running the copper over platinum? Isnt platinum better grade?

Comment

Once again oh wise one!
              Please bless us with your vast knowledge of the internal combustion engine.
              So now the engine is designed around the park plugs.

Pt vs Cu, can't see any issue except I'm sure if the Pt plugs actually contain Pt they will be more expensive.
              The only other thing that might be an issue is the heat range of the the plug in question.

So please explain why, IYHO, the Pt shouldn't be used.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

this isnt helping me.

Comment

Originally posted by Otakuphill View Post
                  this isnt helping me.
                  So telling you to pull the Pt plugs and replace with Cu is "helping you"?

As in most threads one thing leads to another!
                  I'm sure I'm not the only one that keeps hearing the "Pt plugs are no good", "they aren't made for the engine", "they don't work any better than the Cu ones", etc.!
                  I'd just like an expalination or at least some reason for the above.
                  My limited experience is I can't tell the difference between the two performance wise!

If your not interested, don't read the explaination, if one is forth coming!

But to help you out, if the plug wasn't loose 2 weeks later and not covered in oil again, then the sound wasn't the spark plug to begin with!
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The o-ring was destined to fail from heat...presure and general fatique.

The fact the the plug cann't be tightened all the way must be examined...at the auto parts stores they sell taps (chases) the can be run down the threaded hole in the head to clean out the female threads. Becareful....start it by hand and use some grease to catch the chips.

Once the plug is inserted...clean the area around the plug and then check daily for signs of oil...it will appear at the source of the leak. If nothing re-appears...pull the plug and see if it's coming from the clyinder.

Champions BABY! Change them every year. They come out that often to be inspected...why not change them?!?!? Not a Motorcraft, Delco or Autolite fan....I like the chrome plating on the Champions....less chance of rust.
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

most likely you will need to heli-coil the spark plug threads

then look for the source of oil on :

the combustion side of the plug: valve guide and seals, bad piston rings or a bad PCV valve

the ceramic side of plug: bad valve cover gasket and PCV valve

as for the argument about platinums in the Festiva:

if it was not original equipment : DO NOT USE THEM
                      (this rule also applies to Mercedes Benz on earlier models)

I am the original

Comment

Platinum plugs typically have a higher firing resistance than copper. THis causes the firing voltage to be a bit higher, but significantly reduces spark duration. its the combination of peak kV and duration that initiates proper combustion. Shorter duration increases the chance of misfire, and the higher firing resistance increases spark errosion of the cap and rotor terminals. Using Platinum or Iridium plugs poses no immediate concern, can increase the interval between plug changes, but can decrease the interval between cap and rotor changes. Also, they will quickly identify a weak cylinder, due to misfire. Personally, I prefer copper plugs. I feel they offer slightly better response, but I have no measurable evidence to support that claim.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

thank you Jim, i was about to say just that!!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Great explaination Jim!
                            That's all, and more, that I was looking for!

FWIW, I can confirm the increased burn/corrosion at the rotor and cap internal contacts.But I do pull the cap and clean them up every 5k miles or so!
                            But see no perforance difference between Cu and Pt plugs.

..... i was about to say just that!!

Had you did so to begin with, this would have been a much shorter thread!
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post

Had you did so to begin with, this would have been a much shorter thread!
                              sorry, i was away from the 'puter for 2 days.... besides, Jim knew what i wsa getting at and he types more elegantly than i do...

Comment

Working...
                              X