No announcement yet.

Flow Illustrator - simple air flow tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what a small rear spoiler under the window would do? (like the "Tail Finisher")

I may have to start playing with this flow illustrator myself.

Pu241, how much lower is the front of your car? have any pics?
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Festivafan,
      suposedly, FMS springs lower the car by 35mm.
      Because I only put them in the front my car actually slopes up from front to the back.
      I'll see if I can find a pic from the last Ohiostiva meet that might show a comparison to OEM ride heighth.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

A small spoiler won't do diddly, good or bad. A bigger one doesn't help at all OR actually makes things worse. See the attachments.
        Thirdman
        1992 White Festiva L - original owner
        1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

Festivafan
          This is as closeas I can get to a pic showing how much lower my front is as comarged to OEM.

8th from the bottom between the two red ones.

Genevadirt, is there anyway to isolate this pic of yours and append it to this post so he can see directly the image?
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

How about these:
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by thirdman View Post
              A small spoiler won't do diddly, good or bad. A bigger one doesn't help at all OR actually makes things worse. See the attachments.
              I didn't think it would. Oh well

Comment

I'm not sure I'm getting how our factory stock spoilers are at lowering the Cd. Are they worth it, or at least "neutral?"

IMO, a good front air dam is more practical and easier to do than a full underbody pan. Keep that air out from under the car and lower it as far as practical!

Then close off all unnecessary grille openings and try some rear wheel well skirts.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^ the rear spoiler decreases drag at the rear end by removing/decreasing the "vaccum" or low pressure left behind the car.

-Scott
                  Aqua 93 L
                  Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                  White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

^^ more like a flow seperation device to reduce turbulance (drag) in the area behind the hatch glass. the idea is to make the air flowing over the roof to continue in that direction, and not fall behind the hatch and tumble. there will always be a low pressure area behind the hatch due to the car displacing air as it moves, the trick is to make that displacement as smooth as possible.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I guess I should rephrase my question, as I knew how it "theoretically works."

"Do our factory spoilers work the way they should" to decrease the rear hatch area turbulence and lower the Cd?

From earlier posts, there needs to be a large air gap between the hatch spoiler and the rear roof. Do ours have that?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

I just want to know if our factory spoilers were actually shaped right to reduce the drag, or at least provide for some modest downforce or stability at higher speeds (over 80mph).

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I introduced this over at ecomodder.com, and they have been having a lot of fun with it. I emailed the creator of the program, and he has joined the conversation.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ator-3709.html
                        Thirdman
                        1992 White Festiva L - original owner
                        1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

^ Went there. These guys are really into it.

Comment

BUMP!
                            Back to the top a good topic goes.
                            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                            - Unknown
                            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Ford Cd's

Eric
                              Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
                              Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
                              Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

A festiva has a Cd of 0.36? I'm shocked. That's pretty good (for a box).

Comment

Working...
                                X