Opinions/advice needed on festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions/advice needed on festiva

Hey guys, i'm still festiva-less and searching, and found this one only 30 mins. away from my house. My question to you all is if you think it's worth it, and what it might possibly take to fix? I really have no idea what the guy is talking about in the ad. Thanks in advance for any advice!

"Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

As long as you have the tools, ability and the resolve to do some work, but it runs so I'd take it for $500. Just check the body to make sure ittl hold together.
    89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Well, it depends on what it needs done to it. He says it has a cracked ring, but due to my limited mechanical knowledge, i really have no idea what he's talking about. I'm not afraid to get under the hood and learn, but i have to be able to get it home first. Any idea what he may be referring to when he says "cracked ring"? Thanks again for the help!
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Ok, i called the guy and i believe he said it has a cracked cylinder oil ring. He also thinks it should be towed. So I'm just curious if this is something i could fix easily myself, or maybe how much it would cost a mechanic to fix it?

Comment

In order to fix a cracked oil ring, you'd have to remove, and pretty much completely disassemble the engine. Oil rings fit in grooves on the sides of the pistons. I'd offer him $300.
          Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
          Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
          White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
          White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
          Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
          Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
          White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I'd offer him 150-200
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            ---------------------------------------------------
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Man, that sucks. If i were going to do that i might as well go for an engine swap and convert the tranny to manual. Not sure if I'm anywhere near the level of doing that!

Comment

As long as the body is solid, I would go for it. There are enough guys on here with good used engines sitting around that you wouldn't even need to repair your engine. Just post a WTB for a complete engine and swap engines. It will be quicker and easier than tearing the old engine completely down to fix the rings - if that is really what is wrong with it. With the price of gas, Festivas aren't getting any cheaper with age.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

replacing the motor for another B3 or a B6 is very easy
                  89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                  RIP 90LX

Comment

swap the motor out for a b6
                    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
                      I'd offer him 150-200
                      common... you would get more than that for the cat & scrap steel
                      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                      RIP 90LX

Comment

you always can offer them that but doesn't mean they will accept it. thats what bartering is for.
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I can only imagine what my girlfriend will say if i buy a busted festiva.....she doesn't even want me to buy a running one!

Comment

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
                            I can only imagine what my girlfriend will say if i buy a busted festiva.....she doesn't even want me to buy a running one!
                            Who do you love the most?

I think that's a no-brainer for most on this forum!

Comment

I'm more than likely a little older than you. Probably a WHOLE LOT older and I can tell you this: If you're letting your girlfriend call the shots, you better get rid of her NOW, before things turn more serious!

The most expensive thing to have fixed on a car is paint and body work. If you can find a Festiva with a good or presentable body/paint and clean interior, it's worth that kind of money, easy. Like the others have said, complete engines are fairly cheap compared to a paint job or fixing rust and painting.

Originally posted by lanemeyer14 View Post
                              Last edited by Mike McKown; 07-20-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X