Dudley's Run-In With an Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dudley's Run-In With an Explorer

So I was heading south on Telegraph Road in Dearborn Heights tonight, and someone ahead of me stopped suddenly for a red light. I was able to stop in time, but the lady in the red Explorer Sport Trac was not. She slammed into the back of my Festiva at a pretty good clip. (20-30 MPH or so) I wasn't hurt thankfully, but the back bumper of my Festiva is pushed in a good six inches. The rear glass is broken. The right quarter panel is bowed out, the right rear tire popped, and the drivers seat broke right off the track with me in it!

All on the eve of the Festiva Festival with a full tank of gas and a fresh coat of wax. UGH! GenevaDirt, I feel your pain, man.

If one good thing came out of this, it's that I was not hurt, and was not at fault, so my insurance rates won't go up, and I'll get a check for the damage. I may hit up some junkyards to try to find a drivers seat tomorrow. Have fun at the Festival, those of you who are going. I'll try to come to the next one, in a Festiva or otherwise.

Picture to follow. Not for the faint of heart.

My FF.com decal is the only thing holding the rear glass together at the top.
    Last edited by Axlander9289; 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM.
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you're okay!
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Darn!

Glad you're okay too! Where exactly did the seats break at? Maybe we should investigate "seat strength upgrades." If they get bent, fine, because that should lessen the impact to your body. However, breaking off ain't good in a bad accident. You want to stay in place so your seatbelts can do their best job.

This problem has been noted in the past as one of the Festiva's faults. There may have been some lawsuits filed. I can't recall.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sucks to here that, watch out, lately it seems our festivas has been running into bad luck.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
          Sucks to here that, watch out, lately it seems our festivas has been running into bad luck.
          No foolin' man! Me and GenevaDirt rear ended in the same week, and Scottxd45's thrown rod. It's been a tough week for Festivas.
          Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Darn!

Glad you're okay too! Where exactly did the seats break at? Maybe we should investigate "seat strength upgrades." If they get bent, fine, because that should lessen the impact to your body. However, breaking off ain't good in a bad accident. You want to stay in place so your seatbelts can do their best job.

This problem has been noted in the past as one of the Festiva's faults. There may have been some lawsuits filed. I can't recall.

Karl
          The two front points where the seat connects to the track broke. The track is still in place, but the seat is only anchored to it at the back. Upon impact the seat tumbled backward with me in it. My neck was a little sore when I woke up this morning, but aside from that, only my pride is hurt. Maybe I should contact Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:
          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"

Comment

Axlander. Glad to hear your OK. As for the insurance, being Michigan is a "no fault" state this is my advice. If you don't already have one, get a copy of the accident report. It may cost a couple of dollars at the police dept. but get one. Next, take the other drivers insurance info and file a claim for damages. You will more than likely have to obtain 2 written estimates from different body shops. The maximum I believe you will recieve is $500. Granted that's not even close to covering repairs but it will help. Contact your insurance agent to make sure I'm correct on all this. The same basic thing happened to me a few years ago and I had never heard of such a thing until a friend of mine told me about it. I contacted my agent and he told me what needed to be done. As luck would have it the other driver's agent was in the same town that the accident happened and where I worked. During my lunch period I went to the agent's office and he made a copy of the accident report. I had a check within 2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Comment

Bad news in the festiva world...glad your turned out a-ok...time for rebuild/repair!
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              ---------------------------------------------------
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Glad you're ok!

Hope you're able to get your festy fixed up.

Comment

Damn! Well at least you werent hurt and it wasnt your fault.
                  Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                  - Unknown
                  I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                  - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                  - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Glad you're all right. You can get another Festy, you can't get another you.

But now, I'm getting paranoid. The route I take to work is loaded with SUV's every day. All with drivers clearly holding cell phones, coffee cups, McBreakfast sandwiches, etc to their heads while driving. These fools will never see me.

Maybe I should go back to the Buick.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Another Explorer !!! I going to quit stopping at stoplights just to be on the safe side. Sorry about the car ax-man. Ive got an extra Plus decal when you need it.
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Ouch! glad your ok, post up pictures of the rebuild
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                        Paulbarrera12.com
                        Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. The entire attendance of the Festiva Festival migrated an hour east to meet up with me for dinner tonight. FB71 gave me a good new wheel and tire, and beat some of the deformed unibody out of the way of the shock and tire so it wouldn't rub. I've got a shower curtain for a rear window, and I'm going to anchor the seat back down with ratchet straps for the present. As for the future, my mind isn't 100% made up, but I'm thinking I'd like to try and get it fixed.

Festivas past:

Current Fleet:

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
                            ...or bad luck has been running into our festivas! doh!
                            1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Comment

OMG....I can not believe our plight....our Festy's are dropping like flies. Mine does not look nearly as bad as yours. And that no fault thing is a bunch of crap. You need to talk to a lawyer or something ...soon. I hope you do not end up in pain like what I have at the moment....it is not fun. Go to the doctor immediately and have it doccumented. Can only help with your case if you need it. Good luck and sorry for the car.....hope you remain ok.
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X