ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball joints

Wow, was i lucky. I broke a bolt on one of my ball joints and had just traveled 8 miles at 65 mph and and was in my Dr's parking lot when the ball joint dropped down and the whole wheel turned under the car and the cv shaft came out of the tranny. Im gonna be checking my bolts a little more often now
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Been there!
    How about doing 35 mph starting the acceleration run up to merge on to a 4 lane highway!
    Now that will get you a new pair of underroos.

DO NOT CHECK THEM!
    REPLACE BOTH CONTROL ARMS NOW!

Seriously, if one has already let loose the other is not far behind!
    Us the Moog ones they are more expensive but higher quality.
    Also make sure when the axle was pulled out of the transmission that it did not harm the seal between the transmission and inboard CV.
    Or after you get it all buttoned up you will have a tranny leak.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I was wondering about ball joint/control arm quality. On Lux, one of mine went bad after under three years of use. It's not like I go off roading either.

I'm going with Moog for my next set.

Checking this area is a MUST DO.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

years ago i had a torsion bar adjusting bolt break on my chrysler in my driveway so i was luck it happened there. i also had a driveshaft break in my driveway also.

Comment

I had a balljoint give on my tbird, luckily I was driving about 15 mph thru town and it didnt completely fall about. It 'sat on itself' long enough for me to get 10 blocks home. Though it wasnt the smoothest drive home. I have never been so on edge.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

that happend to my car... luckly it feel apart in a parking lot with no traffic..... i would hate to be on any road with traffic when that happens..

i believe hitting a pot hole over 50 was the cause of it breaking X(

Comment

yea, but what was hard to believe was i had just put new ball joints plus bolts, sway bar bushings, control arms, rotors and calipers and new struts on it about 6 months ago. This time i put nylon locking nuts with a lock washer and a grade eight bolt on both of them and said a prayer.
              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

This makes me want to go out RIGHT NOW and get them done, but I have to wait to save a bit more money.... mine are really old now, and can't go too much longer on them.

Glad you were off the highway when it happened!
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

What kind of mileage did your Festivas have when balljoints disassembled? For a 20 year old car, my Festiva has only 77,000 miles.

Comment

LUBE, oil and filter

I don't know who had the bright idea to eliminate the zerks and seal the ball joints, but they sure fooled everyone. When they fail, you're screwed. I miss the good old days when I used to crawl under my car and grease the joints. The guys at Mr. Lube should be checking for a dry condition, but they can't even read the tire pressure gauge properly or remember to put the oil filler cap back in.

Comment

I had one go out on me while I was doing about 35 across the backside of a strip mall. It was giving me warning sounds too. But like an idiot I ignored them. Pu241 is right. Its definately an Underroos moment.
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

FWIW, my '93 Turquoise only had 81k miles on it but required both new control arms and hub bearings as well as rear bearings. Could also use new boots for the rack and pinion!
                        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                        Your holy ghost will not save you.
                        Your God plutonium will not save you.
                        In fact...
                        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                        X