No announcement yet.

MPG Record ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here we go again... Acetone does not increse your fuel economy, and does not act as a surficant in a petroleum product. It's an alcohol product, and will attack rubber hoses and seals in any fuel system, new or old. Fuel system cleaner is essentially the same product. If you really want to increase your economy with a chemical additive, get some tolulene from an auto paint supplier, and add about a gallon to 10 gal of fuel. It bumps your octane rating to around 105-110 RM, and you can advance your base timing to around 14deg BTDC. This will give you more cylinder pressure, yielding more usable power at the crank, allowing you to accelerate and maintain vehicle speed with less throttle angle.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Some years ago there was an after market gadget that allowed you to adjust distributor static advance from inside the car. Might help - might not.
      What about those aluminum disk wheel covers the Bonneville cars ran in the 50s & 60s?
      Fender skirts on the rears? *Only for record attempts PLEASE!*
      From what I've read on the forum, an air dam and side skirts have made a difference.
      Interesting thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
        My Festiva is a '88 carb'd and 4-speed. It's only averaging 34.3 mpg, and I live in a small town. I commute 12 miles round trip everyday at speeds up to 70 mph. I haven't done a compression test on it. I really want 43 mpg.
        Your fairly short commute probably keeps your MPG down. Try a change of sparkplug wires & a new timing belt. But for bragging rights, take your Festiva on a nice country drive where you aren't shutting your engine off every 6 miles. Bet you'll get well over 43MPG with good feather footing.

Comment

Ideas.....

Reduce the kinetic (rolling) friction....well maintained bearings, front and back.

Properly inflated tires...a few extra PSI would help MPG but not handling.

Make sure the front tires are equal in wear....the same size...any time the differential kicks in, HP is not appied to the wheels.

Reduce starting and stopping.

Install a vacuum gage and drive such that the needle is always at a max.

Make sure all of the brake hardware is pristine. On the front the guide pins need to be clean and properly lubed. on the back clean and easily working. This will allow the rotor or drum to easily knock the pads/shoes out of the way when the brakes are not applied and also keep the rears from over adjusting.

Not advisable...but if your really serious about a record... remove the air filter and rad cooling fan.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Don't forget that many areas now have Ethanol in the base gasoline that is KILLING our mileage! I have seen the high side of that " 5% reduction " in economy that it is only supposed to drop. Also, cooler air will help mileage too.

Michael
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
              Ideas.....Properly inflated tires...a few extra PSI would help MPG but not handling.
              Agree with you. Beyond that can get really spooky.

A lot of talk on CleanMPG & one of the Honda Fit sites about really really pumping up the tires...not a good thing to do, if you don't monitor tires very closely. Here in Western Washington state , on a sub-50 degree morning, you could inflate to sidewall pressure max.(CleanMPG talks higher), then drive to E. Washington where the afternoon could get to 110 degrees. As is, or driving fast with a heavy load on hot asphalt, your pressures will be sky high & badly unsafe!

What CleanMPG is talking about is taking the engineered tire safety margin away & overpumping the tires. Its like the max. 'safe' weight calculation of a bridge & then tripling the weight of cars you allow on the bridge.
              Last edited by litesong; 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

:< I wish I could properly measure my MPG's. Unfortunately, I lack a working gas gauge, and just guess that my car is getting bottom of the barrel 30 mpg, and fill up accordingly. (roughly every 300 miles...)

*cries!*
                Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it is not the end.

Comment

full or empty?

Originally posted by silerenth View Post
                  :< I wish I could properly measure my MPG's. Unfortunately, I lack a working gas gauge, and just guess that my car is getting bottom of the barrel 30 mpg, and fill up accordingly. (roughly every 300 miles...)

*cries!*
                  The old VW bug had no gas gauge. When gas got low, the engine sputtered a bit & the driver would turn the 'reserve' tank on. The 'reserve' was the beginning of the gasline to the gas tank that could be lowered to access the last gallon of fuel...much like motorcycle 'reserve' tanks. My old Toyota Tercel had a fuel gauge that indicated when the gas tank was full. After usage of ~1 gallon, the guage would drop to zero. At ~ the half-way mark, the guage would rise & accurately indicate the fuel level to empty. You just had to remember that your tank was over half full or nearly empty.

Comment

MPG increase

I have a 90 L Plus (fuel injected) automatic. Been getting around 30. Added Hydroxy to the mix at 37 mpg now. In the process of constructing a new booster. Injecting Brown's Gas has been around for 90 years or so. Need to check out www.gas4less4you.com The E-Books have some great info. New booster should increase another 25 to 40%.
                    90 Festiva L Plus - Auto
                    Wanted a Manual, but the Used Car Warehouse was all out.

Comment

Originally posted by silerenth View Post

*cries!*
                      You don't need a gas gauge to calculate mpg.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

My two-cents: I'm pretty sure a festiva can't get 60mpg without some seriously ideal conditions and/or major modifications. I've pulled approx. 53mpg in a 93 EFI 5-spd at (like Carbon says) 50'ish MPH. I always run my tires @ 48PSI, other than a rough ride, no problems. Anyone hoping to break the 60mpg barrier needs to drive an XFI IMHO.
                        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Hello all,
                          My name is Aaron, and I'm new here. Wanted to say "hi". I have a '91 5-speed with 34k original miles and am getting about 37mpg. I do about 20 miles round trip each day (half highway at 65mph/half in-town at 40-45mph), and run with the A/C on here in the 110 degree Arizona heat. I did a fresh tune up and it didn't do much for the mpg. Also ran some seafoam through it - not much difference. Probably doesn't help that I have a trunk full of volvo parts, and that I weigh 250 pounds....

-Aaron- 1991 Ford Festiva - 5-Spd, 35k miles, Hurst shifter knob, Volvo floor mats.
                          "I drive a Festiva to compensate for my huge... debt" :newb:

Comment

Welcome Aaron. auto or manual? carbed or efi?
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

She's a 5-speed with the Hurst option (Not really, but I couldn't resist the Hurst shifter knob). It's fuel injected, and has the highly coveted "no passenger mirror" option. I bought this car to drive the crap out of it for the next couple of years while I'm in nursing school.

-Aaron- 1991 Ford Festiva - 5-Spd, 35k miles, Hurst shifter knob, Volvo floor mats.
                              "I drive a Festiva to compensate for my huge... debt" :newb:

Comment

I was getting 35 mpg with Cherry Bomb running on three cylinders. Now that I have replaced the engine with a new B3, I am testing my mpg with the first full tank of gas since the swap. So far, I have over 100 miles and the needle is just now coming off the full mark. It is looking promising thus far. I will let you know what the final outcome of this first tank is.
                                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                                88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                                88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                                06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X