Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My smashed up festi

Hi guys,

I'll get straight to it. What do you think? Can I fix this relatively easily? I don't even need it to look good, just need a run-about car to save on gas!

I'm planning on just getting a new door from a wreckers and then just bashing the rear panel around until the door closes. Is this going to be possible?

Like I said, I don't need it to look good, just be registered in Australia and driveable.

Well so long as there is no frame damage I do not see why not. But it looks like there could be some tweaking to the frame.....how is the alignment now , since the hit??

Also...if you decide to send it to the junkyard...I would be interested in the corner lights and lenses from the bumper lights if they are clear. Also if there is a clock in the dash I would bne interested in that too.
    But I hope you can fix it!
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

you got that off ebay Didn't ya........Was looking at that one.....

you should be able to get away with a door and a bit of a bash, but the bottom sill might give you some problems.......

dont know if it will pass a RWC if it to bad.....

Also Where is Australia Are you located.....

Cheers Craig.....

And welcome to the Forum......
      1993 Ford Festiva
      Under going Surgery

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097069

Comment

Hey,

yeah got it off eBay mate. The bottom is the only bit that worries me too.

from inner west sydney you?

thanks for the comments.

GenevaDirt, are there no clear corner lights in the U.S or something?

Comment

If you don't try to fix that damage with a hammer, the "B" post damage should come back out where it belongs if you put a pull on it. You need to pull it the way it was driven back in the same places. That post area is pretty weak. Can't see the rocker but if it isn't rusty, it may pull out okay.

Comment

Originally posted by paztiva View Post
            Hey,

yeah got it off eBay mate. The bottom is the only bit that worries me too.

from inner west sydney you?

thanks for the comments.

GenevaDirt, are there no clear corner lights in the U.S or something?
            Basically no. We have to wait around for you Aussies to tear up your cars so we can get 'em. lol.

The bottom sill is the only part of your plan that I see giving you trouble. Still, worth the shot. Good Luck.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

If the sill is shoved in or the top of the roofline pushed in then you will have trouble with the hammer approach. Pull the carpet on the right side to see how wrinkled the floor pan is, that should give you an idea as to how tweaked the frame could be.
              If the sill is bent you could make a hole in the floor, put a fitting through and winch it against a tree or post to pull it. If the b pillar is bent in you might try to push it out with a hydraulic unit rather than a hammer. You can sometimes get one pretty cheap at budget autopart stores. Or you could use a 2x4, a wood block, and a bottle jack and press it out, using the other pillar for support. The rear quarter panel is only partially accessible, so you can hammer some parts but not all.
              Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
              Icetiva-3-race-car-build
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

PLEASE do not put a hammer on that car unless you have a pull on it. You'll destroy it.

Comment

There is nothing that an oxy-acetylene torch and a few bucks can't fix. Oh, and duct tape, too! LOL I think the bottom sill will be the big deciding factor. It looks like it could be in far enough to have damaged the frame rail. I wish you the best.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                  88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                  88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                  06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

I don't know how much you want to put into the car, but if there are a few at the wreckers and they will let you bring a battery powered reciprocating saw into the yard, you could cut out the rear quarter section and lower rocker section, and then have it welded back in to your car. It sounds like a bit of work, but you will definately find it a worthwhile investment, especially if you got the car for a great price. From the looks of gas prices, you are going to want to keep that car for quite some time.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I am doing something similar right now myself. I am repairing rusted and dented areas, and have already cut out the new pieces at the salvage yard.
                    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

that should be real easy to fix, you'll need a two by and a couple mallets a second two by or four by to pry off of. The door may need to be adjusted once your put the new one on. Luckily your on the passanger side so you have better access to the outer panels bacuse theres no filler tube in the way. You'll want to completely dissmantle the rear compartment and remove all panaling. you should be able to get most of the shape back into it with that method. you may need to use a long bar for some of the areas the two by cant reach the rocker will most likely have to be done with a pin set or filled with bondo or replacement metal - I did similar damage on the drivers side pm me if you need.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                      92 GL - parts car
                      97 aspire - parts car
                      87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                      http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                      Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Thanks tunner, except in Australia this is the drivers side.

I'm going to have a look at the wreckers this week for a festi that i can cut a rear quater and sill out of, and then just get a door, otherwise I'll have to just get the door and then do what i can with the quater. i'll keep you updated.

Comment

I'm from brisbane.......But used to live in campbelltown moved out in the 90's....

Mind you i have been in living in Wauchope / Port Macquarie NSW for the last week........Granddad been sick in hospitial.....

Craig.....
                          1993 Ford Festiva
                          Under going Surgery

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097069

Comment

Working...
                          X