Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

limited slip add-on... could this possibly work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limited slip add-on... could this possibly work?

Check this out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FF-DY...spagenameZWDVW

The claim:
    "...FFD-LSDs converts your stock open differential to a Limited Slip Diff. No more 1 wheel burn outs. Get full traction with both wheels.
    Each FFD-LSD comes equipped with extra heavy duty springs to achieve equal load distribution to the disc plates, which makes our unit reliable and give you the performance you desire. The springs installed have enough load capacity to handle your race/drag car, autocross racer, road racer, rally racer, as well as the every day driver. Tested to over 500hp and still function perfectly.

With this FFD-LSD you'll notice: Increased traction, faster acceleration, eliminated torque steer, corners will be turned more efficiently, and handling is increased in all types of weather conditions. ..."
    Info from the manufacturer:

http://ffdynamics.com/products_lsd.htm

Snake oil?
    Last edited by thirdman; 08-08-2008, 04:45 PM.
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

it's a cheaper copy of a Phantom Grip. Not a true LSD, but can be better than an open diff, if done correctly. If done wrong, it can lead to catastrophic trans failure.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i wouldnt trust that thing. i would much rather save my money and just weld my dif rather than spend that much money on something that will probably fail

Comment

Snake oil.
        Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

lastplace, are you aware what a spool does to a FWD car? welding a diff essentialy turns it into a spool (untill the welds fail and your trans along with them).
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i know exactly what welding a dif does and i would much rather do that than buy one of those universal limited slips. a new transmission is cheaper than that thing lol

Comment

phantom grip works well PROVIDED ITS PROPERLY INSTALLED, most ones ive seen fail are not, also helps if you firmly keep in mind the festiva trans is a small wimpy thing to begin with, and even with the stock hamster motor you kill one pretty easy, i learned the hard way, which is why i dont engine brake the car, my dsms and my friends 626 was the same way, if you have a weak link, dont stress it, hence why my subaru is still stock. weak tranny that costs 3k to uprate for the power i want to put to the ground, if you need a lsd, phantom grip is about all youll get for a stock festy that id trust, and given the fragility of the stock tranny, id have a reputable shop you trust put it in, specially considering the experience i had installing a quiafe diff in my A555 chrysler trans, shop had to replace the main shaft and machine the case in a few places to fit larger bearings and ensure the ring gear meshed right.
              is not sposed ta do that...
              05 subaru legacy gt
              1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
              1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

basically what I said...

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                it's a cheaper copy of a Phantom Grip. Not a true LSD, but can be better than an open diff, if done correctly. If done wrong, it can lead to catastrophic trans failure.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                X