How much does a SHO drivetrain wiegh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a SHO drivetrain wiegh?

Not sure where this should go, but, i was offered a complete sho drivetrain and harness, been sitting in my friends garage for a couple years, but runs well, i need to know the wieght and would like some suggestions on shipping it from michigan to my home in weldon, california, which is about an hours drive from bakersfield, it cannot come fedex, they dont service my area, and only ups is reliable for finding my shop, first time shipping something this delicate, i want it to arrive as undamaged as possible, and past experience hasnt been very good with goods arriving undamaged
    is not sposed ta do that...
    05 subaru legacy gt
    1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
    1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

I think you have to ship it ground. Terminal to terminal. Look at some engines on ebay and see how they ship them. Also a service like this might save you some money.

Or if you can wait a while maybe someone on here will transport it for a fee.
    Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
    Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
    Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

A bare SHO engine weighs about 465 LBS , with accesories it jumps to 498-500 LBS.

Tranny ( MTX) is about 65-80 LBS

The cradle is about 45 LBS

Start adding axles, struts it get rear heavy real fast.

I would think it would be cheaper just to pic up a local complete car and pull the drivlen your self.

Even though SHO tend to be cheap to pic up they are VERY expensive to work on and hard to get parts for.

You can get timing belts and spark plugs from autozone but the rest of the stuff you have to hit ebay and the web

You have to replace rod bearings at 80,000 miles and a normal 60,000 mile service reguires special tools to addjust the valves, plus you need an assorment of "SHIMS" to swap around to get the clearances correct, they recomend you replace the water pump and crank timing sensor at this time too since its all apart.

Go to http://www.shoforum.com and sign up, its free and start looking around.
      You can also look at several threads here titled "minigun" about rebuild a SHO and the horrors involved.
      Last edited by NovaSS; 08-12-2008, 08:05 AM.
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

thanks for the info, but i know all too well the nightmare of maintaining one

i was the wrench monkey for this car before it got tboned

im going for it cause hes willing to give it up free, all i gotta do is pay for shipping, once i get it here ill clean it up and stick it in a corner of my living room till i get the cash to do it right, which will be awhile, motor and tranny have about 112k on them, and recieved a full service at around 70k, replacing the the bearings at 80k is a new one to me tho, the other reason im taking it is because this guy usually destroys everything he doesnt want, and that would mean him and 4 buddies go at it with sledgehammers until it can shoveled into a trashcan. too neat of a motor to allow that.
        05 subaru legacy gt
        1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Hey solatare, is the old WW2 airstrip still outside of Bakersfield. Did some drag racing there in about '56 or '57. I can't recall who organized the racing tho. One runway was the strip with a return road along side. All the other pavement was piled with rotting potatoes. Nope, I have no idea. Heard the guvmnt bought 'em to keep the prices stable. Whew! You can imagine what that smelled like!!
          CZ

Comment

not sure, i avoid bakersfield if i can, dont like cities, the 14 into bakersfield is tore up, took alot of stuff out, put in those dumb housing projects, and i dont know of any tracks there, so its prolly long gone.
            05 subaru legacy gt

Comment

Thanks.
              B'field was a nice little town back then.

Comment

Working...
              X