Update on festiva resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on festiva resurrection

well i went and finished the deal on my shell, turns out theyre giving my the entire car, intact and running! 87 lx 4sp( i think i posted it as a 5sp elsewhere, sorry) with ac, if the windows hadnt been down on it the interior woudve been mint, it even has the privacy shelf still with it, thought they were a myth, spoiler is intact, prolly keeping it since it seems to have some function to it, should be here sometime next week, ill start a cardomain log of progress, since i will be doing the aspire swap, and converting to fi, im also planning a turbo for it, nothing exotic, only looking for 5 to 8 psi to give me a chance at holding a steady 60 over all the hills out here with the ac going, and yea, a b6 would be easier, but mazdas are scarce out here, and the last two i picked up had damaged cranks and turned out not to be rebuildable.
    is not sposed ta do that...
    05 subaru legacy gt
    1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
    1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

ready to yank the engine on the wrecked car, pulled the dash and found some wierd hacks to the wiring, what is it with tweakers and chopped wiring? every car ive bought out here short of my subaru has had hacked wiring, my 1990 eclipse was the worst, guy chopped the boost control solenoid circuit and added a momentary switch to get the turbo up to 17 psi from the stock 8 to 11. small problem. he referenced vacuum off the wastegate, was on his third motor when the timing belt broke and i got it. breadboards with odd circuits thruout the dash, hooked to the speakers, hooked to ecu, hokked to the headlight and hvac circuits, my corona has a cd changer in it somewhere, but if i really want to find it im gonna have to pull most of the interior, the wrecked festy had a wire spliced into the wiper control circuit with two factory connectors spliced into it holding 15 amp and 10 amp bus fuses...that was spliced into the hvac blower speed control harness plug, and a mass of poorly spliced and soldered wiring leading from a tiny momentary under the dash to the igniton switch and then into the engine bay, but i think that was part of an old alarm system. took longer to unravel the wiring than it did to unbolt the dash and remove the hvac controls.
    05 subaru legacy gt
    1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Sounds like you know a lot about engines, good luck with your endeavors. I don't know what I am going to do
      when I start work on my engine. I would like to do a b6t swap, and I am pretty sure I could get everything out by myself....

....It's the getting it all back together with the new engine, intercooler, ecu, wires, tubes and stuff that scares me

Plus I can't see a way around it being "very expensive".
      Last edited by CHills; 08-17-2008, 06:09 PM.
      Steve GT

Comment

thanks and actually i dont know much more than what the book and my mechanic friends tell me, i just take it apart and send any really critical things like the engine or tranny to a shop i trust since i dont have a garage to work out of, i have replaced bearings and seals, checked for wear etc, but never a rebuild or mods, i jes do my research so i know what im looking at, and how to make it work and how to maintain it, for the b6t swap there are good threads in the turbo motor swap section, i might do it, but the b6 and bp family of engines have been hard for me to find in this area, couple more days and ill start trying the aspire swap on my latest one.
        05 subaru legacy gt

Comment

Working...
        X