Looking at a festy in my area...advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a festy in my area...advice needed

Hey guys, got another lead on a festy and need some more advice. The guy selling this one said the engine got hot and his mechanic told him it "might have a cracked head or cracked block". He's asking $400 or any reasonable offer. All I have to go on is a few pics and one email from the guy. Judging from the pics it looks to be in really good shape, 260k+ on the engine, along with whatever is wrong with it. It's a 1990 and i think it's an L plus model. I think it might have a/c, but i can't tell for sure. The windows look like they may have a slight tint to them, so that's a good indication. It also has the black pillars. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on it are, and any advice as to what to look out for. Can anyone tell from the pic if it has a/c?
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Here's another pic...
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

In my opinion, if the body is in excellent shape, but the engine is shot, engines are cheap enough to buy and easy enough to replace, so i would buy it

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i cant tell if it has ac or not, but the interior and body look in relly good shape.
        offer him $200 find an engine, and get it on the road.
        87 rx7
        92L starsky and hutchstiva bp swap, aspire swap, side pipes(tranny swap on the way)
        94 caddi deville
        99 f250 LD 4x4 12 inch lift on 38s

i need more festies.

Comment

if you dont get it,let me know! i want it.im not to far from it

Comment

I'd buy it in a heartbeat...You US guys sure are lucky fellows...All the "should I buy this Festy" threads all show pretty much rust-free cars, with minor downsides such as faded paint or mechanical problems...For me, it's a no-brainer; I'd rather change parts than do rust repair any day!!!
            The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

Buy It !!!

Comment

I see it has the tach cluster. I would but it and just go straight for the b6 swap. Of course If I had extra cash all the time I would buy every Festiva I see.
                I have a good b3 head in the garage if you get it and just want to put a good head on and drive it. Let me know Ill give you a smokin deal (no pun intended).
                Last edited by Biglay5150; 08-18-2008, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Buy it...I'd offer a low ball though...does it run at the moment? I paid $500 for mine, and $100 for a new head...but I had to drive to Maryland to pick it up. Get it before I make a trip east!

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
                  '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
                  '68 Mustang Coupe
                  '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

offer $200. he'll take it. You're way ahead of the game. even if he sticks to $400 you're still way ahead.
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Its easier to replace a motor than do body work.

Go for it!

Pocket rocket is right... aside from maybe 2 or 3 festivas around here you wont find one without tons of rust.
                      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                      RIP 90LX

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna go for this one. The guy gets back in town on friday and I already told him I'm very interested and want to come check it out asap. Hopefully I can drive it home. Is there any way for me to find out for sure if it's the head or block that is cracked? I read somewhere on here that if you start the car cold with the rad. cap off and it blows coolant, then that means it has a cracked head or block...Is this correct? I'm willing to try anything to find out for sure. I wanted do a b6 swap anyway, so hopefully i can manage that.

Comment

it may only be a blown head gasket, but a cracked block or head is possible.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

You would be crazy not to jump on a deal like that. Engines are easy. I couldn't find any in NE Florida and the one I did buy for $450 is nowhere the car in the pictures. If you don't buy it,Tell every one where it is.
                            88 Festiva 5 speed
                            89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
                            93 parts car(not much left)
                            89 free parts car 5 speed
                            03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                            05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

Appears to be a 90 L plus. Do what carbonvmax says. Good luck with it ! Ive never seen a 1990 L plus w/o a/c. 89s either. If it has factory tint it has a/c.
                              Last edited by freshtiva; 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM.
                              sigpic
                              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                              X