Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to clean engine & bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to clean engine & bay?

After 200k miles the engine & bay on my Festy is a mess. I've used the search tool but either their is not much written or I'm looking in the wrong place. Would love to hear your best ideas for a good cleaning.
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

get some degreaser, spray it all over, let it sit and spray it off with a power washer.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

works best if engine is warm.
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

tooth brush and some sort of degreaser/solvent
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

Here is basically what I did when I had my own detailing business in PA:

Here is what you'll need:
          * First, go out and get some Gunk Foamy engine bright or something similar. The foam will stick to the grease and help break it up, while the liquid type will just run off.
          * If you want to save yourself some trouble, get an engine cleaning brush while you're at the auto parts store. This is designed for one purpose: degreasing things. You can use it for other things too; you will not regret spending $5 on it.
          * old toothbrushes, rags, plastic wrap.
          * If you have access to an air source (compressor with an air nozzle), that would be good, but not necessary.
          * Water source with good spray nozzle. Pressure washer is not necessary, and in some cases can cause harm to some components under the hood.
          * if the grease is really thick in places, try using a plastic spreader or something like that to scrape it off.
          * If you're going to do the underside of the hood too, do that first, then the engine.

First, warm up the engine, but not too much, just a little warm. Don't get it too hot. You're going to be spraying cold water on it most likely, so you don't want it really hot, just enough to make the grease a little softer. Also if you have it too hot, the degreaser can just dry up before it gets a chance to work.

Cover the distributor with plastic wrap as best you can. Don't want water in there!!
          Spray the front fenders, doors, windshield, etc with water. Degreaser on dry paint is not good!
          Spray everything in the engine compartment with the degreaser (whatever kind you use).
          If you get any on the fender, hose it off.
          Let it sit for a few minutes (or follow the directions on whatever you have).
          With the engine brush, just start using it to work the degreaser in, and dissolving all that grease. If you want to be finicky about it, use those toothbrushes to get the small areas.

Then hose it off with as little water as possible; just enough to rinse the degreaser off.
          You may have to do it a second time if the grease is really thick.
          Again, be sure to rinse any degreaser off the exterior of the car (windows, fenders, bumpers, etc)
          Remove that plastic wrap, and start the engine. While it warms up, use some rags to soak up any standing water on parts. If you do have an air source, use it to get water from the distributor, spark plug wires, etc.
          Close the hood, and let it warm up, and the engine will dry itself the rest of the way.

Hope this is helpful to you.
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

Purple Power from Autozone.
            Be careful, it etches Aluminum
            Joey Richard Jr.

1991 Ford Festiva L; died but donated all her organs
            1988 Ford Festiva LX; EFI swapped in...actually everything swapped in

Quality is Job 1. Together, We Can Save Lives. Ford.

Comment

Simply... simple green:-) Get the gallon size industrial strength. Nylon bristle brushes work well in conjunction with the simple green.
              Before

After

Trust me...I tried all the foams and other engine degreasers, but the simple green was the most effective and had the best bang for the buck. Here's my before and after pictures using the simple green.
              90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
              92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
              94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
              94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

your tellin' me that simple green will transform my wore out old b3 into a clean, repainted slightly modded b6!!! I'll take a transport truck load........lol!!!

To get the grase off, after 20 years a HD mech, FORD degreaser is the best, warm er up, and hit it it with a hotsy....everything is spotless....I have used this product at KENWORTH for years, and we have tryed everything i think!
                you want to blend in?, drive a honda
                92l festy car, original owner.
                2008 xls mitsubishi outlander
                1987 nissan diesel truck

Comment

Is this Ford degreaser available over the counter at a ford dealer, or is it just for the techs?
                  Does it have a specific name besides "ford degreaser"?
                  If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                  Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by joebreck117 View Post
                    Purple Power from Autozone.
                    Be careful, it etches Aluminum
                    I use Purple Power manufactured or at least labled by Castrol. Also available at Wal-Mart. Some knock offs are on the market, nothing as goosd as the Castrol Brand.

Once a year for all my cars....the night before I back the car in the garage...early the next morning i push the car out of the garage far enough out of the garage so I can pop the hood.

Sray the entire engine and bay with purple power...±1½ quarts...in a spray bottle with a streaming nozzle...buck or two from the hardware store.

Let the engine sit for about 15 minutes or so....rinse it down with a garden hose. Let the car sit another 4 hours or so before I attempt to start it up.

Works great...the real trick is to keep up with it and repair any leaks ASAP.
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Hi I have one question about how to clean your engine. What all dont you want to get wet. The distributor was mentioned what about the alternator mine is VERY dirty so im wondering if by scrubing and spraying it will i wreck something. Or also the wiring. People have said to me "dont get the connectors wet it will fry your whole harness".I'm not sure that's true but id rather not find out the hard way.Any info would be great

thanks
                      Tim
                      Tim S

Comment

EFI.....I don't protect anything.....I just hose away.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

mobile steam

I just phone a mobile steam truck and have your engine cleaned behind someone else's factory somewhere.

I learned the steam trick when my boss had us talk a salesman into lending us a brand new Steam Jenny for evaluation before buying and then proceeded to clean every press in the factory and then everyone's car engine. The steam blasted off all the grease and grunge without chemicals. However, after the evaluation was complete, for some reason we decided not to buy the Steam Jenny because it wasn't needed any more. Tsk, tsk.

Comment

ok. So i dont have to protect alternator. good to know. Thanks

steam? hmmm i may just need to try that.
                            Tim S

Comment

I Know that On the Air Filter Box there is a Open Peice that swings around & Points right towards the engine. I think it goes straight to the Filter so you may not want to spray direct water there. Note this is on EFI Engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X