Help me calculate my MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me calculate my MPG

I filled the Aspire's tank a few days ago, and I went on a long drive today. The gas gauge was over the full mark after I filled it. This was a mix of city and highway driving, with speed averaging from 35 to 50 mph in and around town, and 60-70 mph on the highway. To make a long story short, The gas gauge hit the E mark at a bit over 400 kilometers on the trip odometer. I don't think I burned the entire 40 liters, it was below the empty mark when I got to a gas station, and 30 liters of gas brought it up to full again. So I figure I burned about 30-32 liters of fuel, does that sound about right? If anyone here is good with math, can they convert all that to miles per gallon for me? I'm curious to see how much fuel the Aspire is burning. One quick question, how far will the gas gauge go below the E mark?

Re: Help me calculate my MPG

Originally posted by Infinitrium
    I filled the Aspire's tank a few days ago, and I went on a long drive today. The gas gauge was over the full mark after I filled it. This was a mix of city and highway driving, with speed averaging from 35 to 50 mph in and around town, and 60-70 mph on the highway. To make a long story short, The gas gauge hit the E mark at a bit over 400 kilometers on the trip odometer. I don't think I burned the entire 40 liters, it was below the empty mark when I got to a gas station, and 30 liters of gas brought it up to full again. So I figure I burned about 30-32 liters of fuel, does that sound about right? If anyone here is good with math, can they convert all that to miles per gallon for me? I'm curious to see how much fuel the Aspire is burning. One quick question, how far will the gas gauge go below the E mark?
    Metric Conversion Calculators:
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

400 km = 248.5 miles
    30 liters = 7.9 US Gallons

248.5/7.9 = 31.45 mpg

Does your Aspire have an automatic or a manual tranny?

I can't help you with your last question since I've never taken mine past 1/4 tank.
    97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    97 Ford Aspire (Wanting 40 + mpg!!)
    95 Mercury Cougar XR-7 (For Sale)
    94 Ford T'Bird LX 4.6L
    73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V
    69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
    76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Comment

31 mpg is pretty good! Especially since gas prices around here went up another 6 cents per liter. I've just got the 3 speed automatic. Think my fuel mileage would go up a bit more if I replaced my dirty air filter?

Comment

I just keep a pen and a paperclip in the car with me and write my milage on the receipt every time I fill up.
        When I first got the car I was getting 41mpg average, after the b6 swap it's 40.5.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

I tend to look reset the trip odometer when I get gas, and the next time I get gas just visually record the reading, then reset it and repeat the process.

Comment

my geo had a trip meter and it read about 1% ahead of the odometer for some reason. So I'd drive 300 miles and it would read 303. Annoyed the hell out of me.

festy doesn't have a trip meter.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

Metric Mileage:

400km / 30 L = 100 km / x L

400x = 3000

x = 7.5 L / 100 km

did I do this right?

Originally posted by Infinitrium
              Think my fuel mileage would go up a bit more if I replaced my dirty air filter?
              YES! - very much so!
              marc
              white 93 GL / 5spd

Comment

I religiously keep a log of date,milage, gallons filled, price, and mpg.

keeping an eye on the mpg can be a great heads up when things are running off kilter.
                "Nothing's gonna grieve us
                When we drive Festivas
                I could go a hundred miles an hour
                Long as I got the Almighty Power
                With my plastic Jesus
                Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

The trip meter is really useful.

My gas mileage has gone up for some reason - 6 months ago I was whining about getting somewhere in the upper 20s, but recently I got my best mileage ever -36.5 mpg. Not too shabby for a carb'd 4 speed!

Regards,

Tim
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Be sure to check for correct tire pressure. I did a few fill-ups ago and mpg went from around 39.5 to over 41.5 mpg for the last two tanks.

Comment

The width/size/stickiness of the tires can also reduce your gas mileage... I am running 185/60/13's and my mileage has gone down but not by much City mileage was right around ~34... -Kyle
                      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

fill up the fuel tank, reset your tripometer, run it completely out of fuel, and then divide the final number on your tripometer by whatever your tank size is.

Comment

My 90' Festiva was out of gas when the needle hit the very bottom of the red E mark.

My 91' (and my dad's 91') are empty when the needle hits the very top of the mark. My wife discovered this out for us :lol: . Of course, I confirmed this a time or two as well.

Comment

The stupid gas gauge on my Festiva doesn't work after 1/4 tank, and I have to guess when I'm about out of gas.

That's more difficult now that I have A/C, since I lose a few MPG and I'm not sure when I'm out of the "safety zone."

I've started carrying a small tank of gas just in case I run out....

Regards,

Tim
                            White '89L auto - Sold!
                            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I try to never let my tank get below 1/4. The fuelpump uses the fuel as coolant, and replacing it is a PITA.

Also, I regularly have to drive 50+ miles with no notice and no time to fill up. Stupid work.
                              OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X