Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition switch story

Just thought I’d pass this on.

Today when starting the 90, it started and immediately died several times. Anticipating it dying one more time, I didn’t let go of the key. It kept running. Played with it several more times starting, dying, running, etc. I found the problem to be the ignition switch. I usually use a ring with only the two Festiva keys on it without problems. The key ring I had today was one that has about 10 keys on it plus a small LED flashlight. The extra weight of several more keys on the ring I was using today was enough weight to effect what is probably a worn out ignition switch causing the car to die. When I held on to the keys, supporting the weight, the car continued to run.

thats the strangest thing ive ever heard... :lol:
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

I have never heard of that before. Well on the bright side you know what the problem is.

are you going to be looking for a different lock set. If so i think theres one on a festiva at my local junkyard that i could check you for you.
      Tim S

Comment

really? No one has experienced this before? I must have seen this hundreds of times. Of course, I wrenched for a living.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

wen i was a chevy mechanic there was a bulliten concerning excesive key rings, the weight would be too much and in some cases wen a bump was hit it would actually pull down on the key rotating it to the off position.. and in my caravan wen i ut it up into park sometimes the gear shifter catches all my keys and shuts the van off....funny stuff.

my old festiva was soo worne out the keay would come out wen it was running. it was really sool wen i had to go to the post office and stuff.
          Later,
          Ian L.

I need a tUrBo

'92 festiva gl b6 sohc,ported exaust manifold 2" downpipe, cherrybomb, aspire brakes, miata 14" steelies. commuter rod.
          '95 grand caravan kiddie wagon.

Comment

I can remove my festy's key's while it's running.. and I can start it with a flat head screw driver!

Comment

Yes Amos, my '88 does the same thing. It does come in handy if I pull up to the garage, and need the key; I can just take it out without turning it off. Also that's why I have a kill switch.
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

On one of mine, you turn the key to start and then turn it back past "on" to halfway "off" to keep it running.

It's a good theft deterrent, not that anybody'd want to steal it.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                  really? No one has experienced this before? I must have seen this hundreds of times. Of course, I wrenched for a living.
                  Same here . . . I cant tell you how many people I told about their "overweight keychains" . . .I thing the wrst offenders were the teenage girls with their 20 keychains and the 2 keys somewhere amongst them

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                  92 GL - parts car
                  97 aspire - parts car
                  87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                  http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                  Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyder View Post
                    are you going to be looking for a different lock set.
                    Thanks a lot for the offer but I think I live with it for a while - I'm the only driver - then install a start-run spring loaded mil spec toggle switch with a red safety cover (fake NOX?) in one of the dash knock outs.

Comment

i have never heard of that before!! neat thing to remember though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                      X