Air Compressor for Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor for Garage

I've been wanting an air compressor setup ever since our garage has been built... And I think that I'm finally going to go out any buy one with some of the money from Casper's parts that I've sold...

I'm looking at this unit: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916760000P

Craftsman has a good name and reputation, good warranty to back themselves up, etc. The price is reasonable (and I've got a friend who works at Sears and can get ma a great employee discount!).

Thoughts on that unit? It's got great reviews (aside from the crappy air hose that comes with it), so... Let's hear what you think.

This is just going to be for basic projects in and around the garage. Nothing crazy heavy duty or anything.
    Simon - pimptiva.com

avoid Crafstman direct-drive compressors at all costs!!!! Despite whatever customer reviews that might be posted, they are garbage in the long run. The use a phenolic piston and cast aluminum connecting rod. I have seen these units grenade themselves time and again. It's more expensive, but you would be MUCH better off with this one;

It's a 2-stage compressor, which is more efficient, recovers more quickly, and is exponentially more durable.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Air hoses are cheap enough so thats not a big deal. Looks like a standard 1yr warranty with optional 2 and 3 yr in home available. I was going to ask why not go up to the 33 gal for the same money, then I seen it comes with the tools included. I dont see why it couldnt handle anything youd throw at it and probably then some. Good price some extras that always come in handy. I say go for it!:thumbleft:
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Check here:

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I've had one very similar for 5+ years now, no problems at all. I always empty it to avoid rust...pretty much maintenace free. If I were using it all the time, I'd go industrial, but I use mine for my framing nailer, spraying drywall texture, and many other things...handles everything with no problems.

Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
          '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
          '68 Mustang Coupe
          '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

I'm gonna' tell you something you don't want to hear. Don't waste your money on that Sears unit or any other direct drive. Aside from what's already been said negatively about them they are extremely noisy and don't have enough capcity to do much more than change a set of tires out.

Buy a belt drive compressor. New or used. You can buy good used compressors at estate auctions far cheaper than new and there's no reason they won't last you the rest of your life. Of course, you can get burnt, too.

I bought a Sears compressor. Twin cylinder, cast iron, 2 hp about thirty five years ago. Cost $229 back then. Lot's of money but I still have it. I took the motor, compressor and switches off the small tank and mounted them on a 60 gallon vertical tank. I have all the air I need. I can even run a blast cabinet. I haven't spent a dime on the compressor since I bought it.

I needed another compressor a few years ago to blow up swimming rafts, tubes and flat tires so I bought on like you're looking at. It's worked okay for what I want but I don't like the noise and it really has no extra capacity if I happened to need it. I went to an auction the other day and bought another compressor for $5, just like the one I bought $35 years ago and it still runs good. That will replace the noisy Sears I bought.

Comment

check out
              http://www.grainger.com
              or
              http://mscdirect.com
              Grainger has a branch in Harrisburg and MSC is in Johnstown.

Just a few thing to consider....A real 1 horsepower motor....at 120 Volts AC draws about 12 amps for a very efficient motor and about 15 amps for an in-efficient motor. Don't trust the Sears lable....they rate horsepower by what the motor produces as it stalls just prior to blowing up....locked rotor amps.
              Once you reach 12 amps UL requires 220 volt circuits. So if the compressor has a conventional plug....I guarantee it's not 1 HP.

The biggest miss-que buyers make is not purchaseing a unit with a properly sized reciever and a compressor to match. If the reciever is to small the compressor will always run and eventially never keep up. If the reciever is larger than the compressor...once the reciever drains...it will become a load and the tool will not run.

My experience....to run a 3/8 impact at marginal duty cycle...you will require a 3/4HP X 10 gallon running 85PSI On - 100PSI Off. To run a 1/2" impact at decent duty cycle...you will require +1HP X 20 Gallon running 90PSI on - 110 PSI Off.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

look at the numbers on the motor,sears were selling the campbell and hausfeild under their name a few years back. I researched this alot a couple years back before I bought mine. I went to sears,home depot and lowes theyu all matched but a little differnt under their names. I found a deal at sams club for a devilbiss air compressor.

Comment

I have a big 2 stage compressor that is over 25 years old and still running fine, I bought one of those compressors (from Sears) like you are looking at Simon. I wanted one that was smaller that I could move around easily when I was too far from from my big compressor. The direct drive compressor that I bought didn't last a week before it blew up.
                  You gonna race that thing?
                  http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Avoid craftsman. My brothers died on him after not having it too long (about 1.5 coats into painting my Mercury Capri too) and his warranty had just expired.
                    '97 Aspire

Comment

Stick with belt drive whatever brand you buy!!
                      Try finding one at your local pawn shop.
                      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                      99 Dodge Caravan SE
                      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment