Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sport Compact Car Festiva Build-up - Wha' happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Compact Car Festiva Build-up - Wha' happen?

For an article that started out so promising, it's kind of a bummer that they never saw fit to complete the project. :roll: Anyone know what happened? Did it just run aground on the shoal of corporate indifference or fall between the cracks when Oldham left?

I used to really enjoy that mag, but it's been quite awhile since I spent more than a few minutes reading it from cover-to-cover...everything they cover now seems to be aimed at a totally different crowd. They seem to have lost the old basic "how-to, do-it-yourself" ethic. What a pity.

Roland

Actually, with Josh Jacquot in charge now, i'd say its more likely that Project Shoebox will return. Haven't you seen this month's issue? All of the feature cars are projects built for $10K or less, one of them is an Omni that runs 12's for $3500. THey even give you a breakdown of what parts you need to duplicate them. And Jacquot did mention the festiva project in a recent editorial, although briefly, but it shows that at least it isn't forgotten. If you want to see it go farther, email Josh and tell him so. Don't just sit and whine about it here, do something about it.

Comment

Gee, Jay, didn't know I was whining :shock:, but, gosh, now that you've straightened me out, maybe I will just e-mail Josh and find out what's up...good idea. As it's going on nearly two years since the first installment appeared, maybe some indication of interest will start it moving again.

Roland

Comment

Here's his email addy:

josh.jacquot@primedia.com

And here's the rest of the "contact us" page:

I sent an email with a link to this thread to the feature editor, who may be "closer" to what we want:

jared.holstein@primedia.com

I invited him to take a look here and maybe drop by and say hello.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Well damn, my message to Mr. Holstein was "returned."

Oh well.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Jared Holstein called me on the phone a few years ago to get some pointers on the swap.
            * Retired Festiva-er*
            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

when I first saw the new article I got really excited thinking that they must have brought back the project festiva. How could you make a list of super cheap cars and not include the festiva?

I guess the festiva is too small of a market and they are aiming for the big crowds. Plus it's easier to stay with cars with a lot of aftermarket support.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
                when I first saw the new article I got really excited thinking that they must have brought back the project festiva. How could you make a list of super cheap cars and not include the festiva?

I guess the festiva is too small of a market and they are aiming for the big crowds. Plus it's easier to stay with cars with a lot of aftermarket support.
                Eh, the Omni doesn't exactly have a huge market any more... granted, its bigger than the stiva, but how many of those things are still really around?

And Roland, magzines have email addresses for a reason, so that you can put your two cents in so that they know what their audience wants. If the only readers who ever email them are saying "We want more supras and hondas," than thats what they're going to feature. If everyone on this site emailed in to SCC, who knows, maybe some interest would be sparked in a follow up. Granted, the car's been MIA for a while now, but other SCC project cars have gone on hiatus and returned years later too. I'm damn sure that once Fred and DJ and GTR Matt finish up their speed-related projects, that SCC would be interested. Reading their editorials, they really are the kind of people who are in to do it yourself speed for cheap. If they weren't they never would have featured Cam's stiva back in the day.

But you have to be conscious that our community is relatively small, and that kind of thing isnt going to come often because they have to do things to keep up with demand from the majority of their readers.

Comment

Alrighty then! :wink:

Roland

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJay1.8T
                    I'm damn sure that once Fred and DJ and GTR Matt finish up their speed-related projects, that SCC would be interested. Reading their editorials, they really are the kind of people who are in to do it yourself speed for cheap. If they weren't they never would have featured Cam's stiva back in the day.
                    Something is missing from this sentence? Hmm...

Comment

lol you yourself have said it will be a long time before the EVOgun is done, and i haven't heard any major updates about Project X either.... I was referring to cars that actually have regular updates and pictures of the progress. Generally magazines don't do features of cars when there aren't pictures and only vague posts about them

Comment

Well get ready to Edit* your post!

Comment

^^^ this guy has somthing major up his sleeve. damnit hate being in the dark, damnit get it done and show us already.
                          Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Email: Nathan.Roe86@Gmail.com

Comment

hey nothing personal, as i've said in the past, i just don't believe claims on the internet until i see proof. I'll be more than happy to give EVO his props when he finally posts pictures/video/details. Until then, I remain skeptical.

Comment

:dontknow:

Comment

Working...
                              X