octane ratings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octane ratings

While driving from the east coast to the west coast I came across a few states that had 86 octane gas as economy gas and 88 as mid level. On the east coast the economy is 87 and mid grade 89. Do they rate gas differently on the west coast and will a car designed to run on 87 octane run properly on the west coasts 86? Any thoughts on this?

Were the pumps newer or was it like an old rundown gas station?

If you wanted to raise the octane rating just pour a little water in the tank before fueling.*

*Disclaimer not responsable for damages if you put too much water.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Higher elevations can slip by with a lower octane number to avoid detonation with all things being equal. At the same time I'd rather have brand name 86 than mom and pop 87 going cross country. In the late 90's we lost 92 in favor of 91 premium in California.

please do what all moderators tell you.
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I remember seeing 85 octane 'economy' gas like 10 years ago. Mower gas i say. Still plenty of 93 octane premium out here though. And sunoco 94.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

93 still here , but I have seen newer stations in SW MO. that had 84 of 85 , they had like 5 grades to choose from ??????
          ------------------------------------------------
          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

^ what's the point?

i say just make all engines run on 93 and be done with it.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Make all cars solar battery powered. Or Hybrid solar and Fudge Brownies or Little Debbie cakes. That way you can pull over and share a snack with your car in the sunshine.

Comment

Awww that's sweet! (i just threw up a little) :p

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'm really thinking of a water injection kit now. I could use the cheap gas and fill up with water when I get to work. Water is usually free and i'd be saving about $4 each time I fill up.

Comment

not to burst you're bubble, but "ususally" the water injection kits are used as a safeguard in ultra high performance engines, and in the case of boosted engines, an added air charge cooling medium.

i wouldn't recomend using it as a DD fuel additive.

Comment

why not?^^^

go to fordsix.com and search for threads on water injection. TONS of guys using water injection on low compression 4.9L straight sixes, along with fuel heaters, to get near 30mpg in an F-series.

The proper amount of water injected into the intake stream will, when injested into the combustion chamber, absorb the latent heat in the chamber post-combustion, and add to the gas expansion pressures. A similar principle is employed by the Crower cycle engine.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Did they have a sign of what percenage of ethanol the gas has in it?

Comment

I saw some of those stations in SW MO too, confused me a bit at first. I think just about everything has ethanol in it now, at least around here it has for the past 6 months or so, and forget about anything along a main interstate route. Geez, my cars eat more corn than I do.

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
                          '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
                          '68 Mustang Coupe
                          '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

Working...
                          X