Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a Festiva for $300, Anything I should check b4 I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Festiva for $300, Anything I should check b4 I buy?

I found a Festiva ( I think its a '93) for $400. I called the guy and he said he would take $300 as it needs front rotors and pads. It has 96k on it and he says it runs perfect. I am unsure if it auto or manual...I'm probably going to go down and take a look today.

Is there anything I should look for? Any common bad rust places?

After an initial external look-see, I first check the brake lines where the hoses meet the metal lines. I look for corrosion to see how hard they will be to take off for an Aspire suspension swap. Also check the inside of the front strut towers. My '89L has rust there.

The '93 model year was not as bad on rust around the rear quarter panel wheel wells. Check it anyway. Also the leading edge of the hood.

Go to the library and get some books on how to check out used cars. Make sure everything works, or at least everything you want to work right away.

Do a search here and look for more stuff to check out.

Good luck! If it's in fair shape and runs well, that's a nice price.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Wow.. you didn't say on TCCA it was only $400, thats a pretty nice deal as long as it rolls. Let us know how it turns out!

-=James
      1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L OHV V8 - SCT Tuned
      2011 Ford Fiesta SES 1.6L DOHC I-4
      2007 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 2.3L DOHC I-4 - The Family Truckster
      http://www.fordaspire.com
      http://www.fordfiesta.cc

Comment

Check the coolant reservoir for that fabulous milkshake color. If it's there the engine needs a headgasket. Also, check the framerials inside the engine compartment for any distortion. If there's even a minor accident they can be crushed.

Abe
        Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

festie checks

1 rule of thumb grab the top of the rear wheels rockforward and back to feel for loose wheel bearings .the 92 i got for $350 had one loose.the 89 both sides had to replace them all.a fellow festie lover bought one drove it onthe way the rear bearings seized up cost him $300to get it fixed.

datone38@aol.com
          workin hard lovin life just need the the old festie right

Comment

Yep, unless the owner did it recently, figure on replacing the rear bearings. I had to do that with my '93GL when I got it. One of the first things I check after looking for rust.

Another thing on checking head gaskets. My '93 developed a bad one a few months after I bought it, but it just leaks to the outside and (fortunately) does not burn coolant. Use a good flashlight to look below the spark plug area around the nooks and crannies of the lower block. Mine leaks to the front mostly, and I can usually see a "sheen of green" indicating leaked coolant. If you see this green in that area, be advised it may be leaking out the head gasket without burning it inside the engine.

Always have a good flashlight to help you check cars, too! Quite useful, even in the day (especially an overcast day or in the shade).

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I've heard a few people mention the rear wheel bearings going out. I've logged close to 300,000 miles between the 2 Festivas that I've owned, and never had to replace a rear bearing. I did do one set of front ones. The only thing I've had to replace fairly often are CV joint boots, so give them a look over. If they are not torn you are good to go. If they are torn, check the CV joints by turning the steering wheel all the way to one side, then slowly drive in a circle, if you hear a "click, click, click, click", the Joints are bad and you'll have to replace the axle. Typically they will only make noise while accelerating, so speed up and slow down a few times. Once you check one side, turn the steering wheel all the way in the other direction to check the other side. Festivas also like to chew up mufflers. But other than that, these cars are pretty solid.

Comment

Working...
              X