Extremely weird question and probably ridicules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely weird question and probably ridicules

i know the stock bore of a b3 is 71 mm (2.8 inches) is there any way to take that out to 87mm (3.4 inches)?
    (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
    95k Original miles
    New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

I don't know how thick the cylinder walls are in a B3 but I'll bet less than 0.30".
    So I don't think that's possible!
    And even if they were thicker I don't think there'd be enough wall to actually run for very long!
    Anyone know the B3 wall thickness?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well .. I took a look in a ford repair manual for 1991-1995 and it said nothing about wall thickness. Just my opinion but i dont think you could bore it out that much. sorry i couldnt help.
      Tim S

Comment

Found this thread regarding boring out B3.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I don't think i've ever heard of boring a B3 more than .030" over. If memory serves, the bore is the same for all US market B series engines and the stroke varies between them. I would think that that large a bore increase would go right through the cylinder walls to the adjacent cylinders. Why increase bore? An increase in stroke gives you the big power gains, and if that's the case, why bother stroking a B3 when you could have a B6 or BP?
          Last edited by Axlander9289; 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM.
          Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
          Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
          White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
          White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
          Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
          Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
          White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

i figured, i just happen to have a set of EXTREMELY expensive dome pistons, and nothing to do with them lol
            95k Original miles
            New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

Originally posted by Axlander9289 View Post
              I don't think i've ever heard of boring a B3 more than .030" over. If memory serves, the bore is the same for all US market B series engines and the stroke varies between them.
              B3 and B6 engines have the same stroke, different bore. this is due to a different casting allowing the larger bore.

to answer the original question: No, at least not without siameseing the bores using liners and totaly removing the original bores.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I think FB71 must have this on his clipboard to post each and everytime this question has come up
                Quote "no, the block castings are different. The cylinder liners would get way too thin if you bored out the block for b6 pistons." Unquote

I found it multiple times over 8 pages that came up doing a quick search. :razz:
                Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                - Unknown
                I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                - Bumper Sticker

Comment

^ 3.4" is no where NEAR a B6 bore size, it's even bigger than BP pistons!
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

yeah they are for a 2.0 engine and actually they are .40 over pistons lol so its even bigger
                    95k Original miles

Comment

somewhat bass-akwards^^^

B3 and B6 share the same stroke (83.6mm), different bore (71mm vs 78mm)

B8/BP bore is 83mm. The B8/BP is longer, because the bores would have bumped into each other over about 80mm.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

so what ur saying is it would be impossible to make a stroked out b3 using a bp crank
                        95k Original miles

Comment

correct. the BP crank has the rod and main bearing journals spaced too far apart to even think about fitting it into a B3/B6 block.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

but with a bore of 83 is it feasible that the pistons would at least fit? lol
                            95k Original miles

Comment

that's still a difference of 4mm, or 0.16 inches (0.125 is 1/8 inch). That's more than the thickness of most cylinder walls... so far, you're talking custom machined, solid billet block...
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X