General ?'s from a new member.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General ?'s from a new member.

I'm not new to the Festiva scene, just new to the site. I had an 88 back in college, and right now I have a 93. I love that 40 mpg! I even got rid of my 96 Caddy Seville STS because I'd rather have the mileage.

I've been searching around for over an hour, and have found some very good info on things. But, I need some specific help if possible. I'm trying to do some minor upgrades, and need help in the following areas.

1. Can you get rid of the stock coil, and put in an aftermarket coil?
    2. What are some better plugs/wires to get for performance improvement? (Not too expensive though. I'm not looking to race it or anything.) And, will that affect my mpg's?
    3. If I can put in a different coil and better plugs/wires, will the stock distributor cap and rotor handle the extra spark?
    4. Is it possible to get rid of the damn restrictive air cleaner setup on the car? I have tried to unplug the sensor on top, but it will not run without it hooked up. There has to be a way to bypass the sensor somehow to make the car think that it's still hooked up. I want to completely get rid of the stock setup, and make my own cold air induction tubing with a K&N or something similar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

welcome to the site

here......... everything is possible

all that you need to know can be found just by using the search button at the top of every page

I am the original

Comment

Welcome to the site.. but yeah look around some, its all here. Caddy for a festiva huh ?? Thats a big step forward !
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

i'll go over the Qs for you:

1. aftermarket coils will work, but you'll have to splice in the original connectors.
        2. new Champion, AC Delco, or NGK copper core plugs, and new wires (no brand names, just new).
        3. YES, provided they are still good. if in doubt, REPLACE.
        4. NO, all you can do to help is cut out a large hole in the lower half of the box. 1.3s don't require that much air anyway. also, you can replace your factory muffler with something slightly larger (i like CherryBombs Turbo II) in 2" and no bigger.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

4. Yes and No. You will need an adapter to add on a conical filter, to get rid of the box but you CAN NOT get rid of the sensor.

Here is a picture of my coil:
          90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
          94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
          94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Working...
          X