Don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't get it...

I just changed my CV axle this past weekend. Does anyone know how that little clip on the tranny end of the axle does anything at all? I don't understand how that little piece of wire could hold the axle in place.
    1993 Festiva GL
    new fuel pump
    97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

If you noticed when you had your axle out, there was a very narrow section of the axle that was splined and then the circlip slot and a wider section of splines. When you put the axle in, you are pushing in through a spider gear. The spider gear is only as wide as the wide section of the splines on the axle. So when you install the axle correctly, the circlip and the narrow section of the axle are both completely through the spider gear inside the transmission. Since the circlip is no longer being compressed, it hangs in the slot and keeps your axle in.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

You would be surprised on how much a small piece of metal can hold when there is no pressure on it. Just think of the little axle nut being banged down in that little grove for your axles... its the hold thing holding your rear wheels on yet with the groove and washer not spinning, it does its job. Or even cotter-pins in most car's axles, 130mph and the only think keeping your wheel squished in is a bolt and a little pin!

They make 'em that way for a reason!

Comment

^^ I had one of those clips decide it wasn't going to let me pull the axle out and I literally had to take hammer and chisel to the transmission case to get it out... so yes, it will hold the axle in just fine! Had to replace the transmission obvioulsy too.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
        X