Upgrading to an Aspire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to an Aspire?

OK, i have a japanese built Mazda 121 1.3l carby model. Am wondering if it's worth doing a complete service, new tyres and paying another 12 months rego, or should i give up and put the money towards an Aspire?

Is there a reason why there's arent too many Aspires on this forum (do they have their own forum somewhere?").
    Has anyone upgraded from a Festiva to an Aspire?
    Are there any 'negatives' to Aspires?
    What engines were offered in the US Aspires? Here in australia they came with a B3 1.3L, and a 1.5L (b5?). Im not sure if they were EFI... more research is yet to be carried out.

If i don't look at an Aspire, i'll have to think about a *gasp* 121 Bubble.... i like the look of the 4 door Aspires hatches more

Well Festivas are more popular, in my opinion, because they are pretty much like Aspires, only lighter...The advantage Aspires have over Festys are better brakes, rear sway bars and a B3 with roller rockers, unless I forget something.
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

I've been looking at Aspires on CL. The 2 door model is actually kind of hard on the eyes.If I were to buy one it would be 4 door ,that angle on the hatch is much better looking. The drive train and interior space is basically the same. The reason people don't choose Aspire is that they are .......ugly. Bless there hearts.
      88 Festiva 5 speed
      89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
      93 parts car(not much left)
      89 free parts car 5 speed
      03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
      05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

Yes, the Aspires have their own website too. It's www.fordaspire.com

I've got one of each and love them both the same. The one major thing that I like about the Aspire is it has airbags.
        www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
        www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
        Snoopy's
        4621 Atlantic Ave
        Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

And we can blow heat out of our dash vents. =)

Of course, if you do that the windshield immediately begins to fog anyways. LOL.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

the interior is smaller in the cabin (the seats are taller and the interior panels are beefier) but bigger in the rear - they come with abs on some and air bags - the launching is slower and the top end isnt great - I drive an aspire now and wish I had my festy back together every day - however a aspire trans in a festy (121) will give more pep on the low end but also lowers your mpg slightly. The engine bay is however bigger and there is plenty of space out front to mount a intercooler, even if you have a AC, also you have more room for the turbo and intake. If you switch to an aspire I would highly recomend a motor and trans upgrade.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I've owned both and I have to say I loved my aspire much more. It had more creature comforts, manual belts, was easily modified (B8-ME ) and even saved my life... I always thought if I was in a car crash in the car it would double as a coffin, but it got me safe and sound through a 60mph spin out and into a concrete median head on. I still don't know how I got out of that one alive, but I am pretty sure the air bags had something to do with it.
              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

^^well, i dont know what to say about that but...

i wouldnt call the aspire an upgrade, even for the carb model. i dont know where all the aspire haters are on this post, cause ive seen them before (you know who you are :lol, but i've heard them referred to as "brake swaps." my problem is their styling. i really dont like the kia/ford look they got into with the aspire. creature comforts, maybe, but i'm not really that kinda guy i guess :lol:
                89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

I have both and Ive been letting my wife drive my Festiva to work and Ive been driving the Aspire. I hate the death egg. Its ugly, slow and doesnt handle worth a poop. I dont think Ill keep the Aspire too long I have my eye on an 88 Festiva LX and will use the Aspire to do a Brake Swap. So I guess Im one of the ones that call the Aspires "brake swaps".
                  Bob

Comment

Im not offended when you guys call aspires "brake swaps." They weren't my aspires.

However I wont mod my aspire. It's a rolling 41mpg surrogate for a future festy.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I won't say the Aspire is an upgrade; I love my Festies. But, I love the Aspires, too. It's different enought to warrant some attention, without being merely "brake swap parts". Although, I don't blame anyone for looking at Aspires that way, especially 4dr autos...

I had a '94 2dr 5spd that I had bought new, and would love to find another. Anyone have one for sale near Baltimore, MD?
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                      X