it's alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's alive!

w00t! got the festy working last night. did a tranny swap, and didn't have to pull the engine out of the top of the car! took a day and a half... had a couple friends helping me... none of us had worked on a festiva before, so it took a little bit. plus frequent coffee/beverage breaks. we were all pretty tired from lack of sleep... myself cause i stayed up late to make more progress to get the machine closer to complete the night before(so there were only a few steps to drop the trans the next day) and my other buddy cause he's a night owl type (i used to be... worked a few years of graveyard shifts in my time). but it is a decent box from teh feel of things.
    has good get up and go for a 1.3, and eventhough there are 235,000 miles on the clock, the engine seems like a tight unit. now i just need to replace the tie-rod ends (had to do a makeshift fix on one, cause the shaft mushroomed really bad), and another passenger side CV axle (the boot is ripped, and it clicks). then of course realign the wheels... get a good front windshiel (ie: no cracks), clean up the dings, and find a decent used hood (mine has some damage...warped section causing it to not sit level with the panels, evnethough the clips and everything still function). then clean up, give it a really silly painjob.... maybe do the aspire running gear swap... heh.... fun. maybe a really gaudy green paintjob with simulated stitches... heh... why not have a sense of humour about such a small thing? i would love to swap to a larger powerplant evnetually... but patience is a good thing. i as don't have the funds to pick up a larger engine at this time... maybe i can find a decent engine from pull-a-part of something (they seem to be the cheapest outta everything). but all seems to be going well).

Good going. Paint it like you stole it! 8)

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

something really wacky and slapdash?!

Comment

Paint it to disguise the rust. Or to complement the rust!

My '89L is white with a blue right door, a blue grille, and instead of painting the hood to match my tie-dye seat covers I liked the blue horizontal stripes (side to side) I began with and left it like that. Kind of "sky" looking. Wispy. Cool. 8)

Use your imagination. You should be getting well over 31 mpg so RUB IT IN on all them trendy SUV drivers!

"HEY LOOK AT ME! I DON'T CARE WHAT I LOOK LIKE BECAUSE I'M NOT BLOWING HALF MY PAYCHECK ON GAS!"

Karl

Comment

"AND YES, IT WAS PAID FOR THE MOMENT I BOUGHT IT!"

(Insert maniacal Woody Woodpecker laughing...)

Karl

Comment

heh, yeah! i am still under the $500 mark for this car. so i suppose i can't complaint. decent mileage, relative easy work, and i cna park it anywhere. plus it is small enough to avoid the eyes of local law enforcement. so, although i drive sensibly most of the time, i still don't have to worry about the unfriendly eyes of traffic cops-so far at least. i might invest a few more bucks in on a "ding king" to yank out the few dents it has (all minor, and on the quarter panels)$20 to pull them all out VS buying straight panels is way cheaper, plus doesn't require me to remove them. i bough the car initially for $161.25 after tax and liscense, as amazingly enough, i found it at a used car lot, and they were just looking to get back what they gave on trade in. mechanic special. can't complain yet.

Comment

lol, i hardly think you need to worry too much about the 5-0 with a B3 engine still under the hood.

Comment

hey now, Uncle Fester burys the needle past 85 everyday on the NJ turnpike, and thats with a carbed 4spd.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                X