Derusting parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derusting parts

Here's a before and after picture of a rear drum that was derusted in a solution of water and a product called Cleanse. The drum soaked for 20 hours only because I had other stuff to do. I don't know how long it would actually take to do the same amount of rust removal. The rust residue was washed off with a garden hose. A little work with a wire wheel, I think it would look near new. I have another soaking right now. A friend gave me about a half gallon. I think Cleanse is available from various suppliers on the iNet.

Looks good, I have never heard of that product before!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

where did you get it?
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

^^ "A friend gave me about a half gallon. "
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You can also get acid from a pool supply and it will eat rust off rather quickly.
          Eat concrete too.
          Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

metal laundry

I wait until I get a huge lot of greasy, oily, rusted parts and take them to the metal laundry. There's one in every city. Let them breathe the fumes and comply with governmental environmental waste disposal regulations. The parts are returned 100% rust free.

Comment

put it in a tub of salt water and hook up battery charger. works great
              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                I wait until I get a huge lot of greasy, oily, rusted parts and take them to the metal laundry. There's one in every city. Let them breathe the fumes and comply with governmental environmental waste disposal regulations. The parts are returned 100% rust free.
                Tell me more.
                Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

I use EvapoRust. Sulfer based, water soluable, no fumes, biodegradable. Work fairly well. I've also used molasses. Takes forever (go figure)! I've used it to clean small sheet metal parts, takes about 2-3 weeks. I've also used baking soda and water with a battery charger and a sacrificial piece of steel. Connect the negative lead to the component to be salvaged, and the positive lead to the sacrificial anode (clean, shiny piece of steel). Submerge both in the water/baking soda, set the charger to a low (2 amps) setting, and let cook overnight.
                  Last edited by FB71; 10-29-2008, 10:21 PM. Reason: had the leads bass-akwards
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
                    Tell me more.
                    x2, How much?
                    Steve GT

Comment

How about this

Welcome to Videojug! Here you'll find the best how-to videos around, from delicious, easy-to-follow recipes to beauty and fashion tips.

I haven't tried this but it looks like it would work well.
                      Tim S

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                        I use EvapoRust. Sulfer based, water soluable, no fumes, biodegradable. Work fairly well. I've also used molasses. Takes forever (go figure)! I've used it to clean small sheet metal parts, takes about 2-3 weeks. I've also used baking soda and water with a battery charger and a sacrificial piece of steel. Connect the positive lead to the component to be salvaged, and the negative lead to the sacrificial anode (clean, shiny piece of steel). Submerge both in the water/baking soda, set the charger to a low (2 amps) setting, and let cook overnight.
                        gotta love chemistry!!
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                        X