Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color should i paint my wheels?

Hey guys,

I have been thinking of getting my wheels powder coated... Any suggestions to what color should i go?

My CAR color is blue(dark) and i was thinking of either going black(glossy) OR, golder+bronze (pic attached, kinda like Subaru Impreza wheels)

Here is a recent of the wheels(pic attached)

PLZ GIVE RECOMMENDATIONS, I WANT THIS CAR TO LOOK HOT! LOL

I would be very careful about Powder coating your rims. I cant find it now but theres a picture of a rim here someplace that had been powder coated and FAILED while on the car. NOT a pretty picture.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I remember that post too, but have been unable to find it. Definitely scary!

Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
      '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
      '68 Mustang Coupe
      '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

Maybe blue with polished lip?
        Or just have the wheels polished.
        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
        99 Dodge Caravan SE
        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Is this the one you were thinking of Monsoon?

Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

i would go with a gold or bronze on a blue car and as long as you have a professional coat the wheels i wouldnt worry. i know plenty of people with powder coated wheels and have never heard of them cracking or breaking. my guess is that wheel either had a defect from the beginning or it was not heated and cooled properly.

Comment

Yes, i researched quite a bit about cracking/breaking (that pic is definitely scary)... it seems when the temp goes over 600C it messes up the metallurgy and therefore results in a bad or a cracked rim...
              but the place i work at or where i am going to get coating done, they never heat up the over 400C, which would not do anything bad to the wheel...

Lastplace, I am also leaning towards bronzey golden... but what do you mean by professional coat bro?

Comment

400C or 400F? Down here, powedercoating is done at 400-500F. And anything over 250F nets a change in the crystalin structure of the metal.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

It depends on Metal,
                  Some facts:
                  boiling point of water is 100C=212F

Wheels are made up of alloys which is mixture of metals and results in high durability, strong bonding etc etc, and they are much much more heat resistant(ie, much higher melting point as it combines properties of different metals)...

So, i highly doubt anything will happen to alloys at 250F & if it does, then i will prob end up in the hospital, but why be so pessimistic.

I have never heard from anyone that had probs with powder coating.. except in that pic.. could be poor powder coating job.

LETS FOCUS ON THE COLOR PART THOUGH, PLZZZZ

Comment

^^^ agreed, the change may not be significant at lower temps. We just don't want to see you get hurt or destroy your car.

I'm with you on the light bronze! That would look hot!!
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I like the Bronze too!

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

i'm all about copper if you can get it, bronze is over done
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by edudu77 View Post
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13555

Is this the one you were thinking of Monsoon?

Donovan
                          Yep thats the one. I was using the wrong search terms. No wonder I couldnt find it.

Personally Im about contrasts. Black and bronze or body color and bronze.
                          Last edited by MONSOON; 10-30-2008, 06:01 PM.
                          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                          - Unknown
                          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by goodbabbu View Post
                            Yes, i researched quite a bit about cracking/breaking (that pic is definitely scary)... it seems when the temp goes over 600C it messes up the metallurgy and therefore results in a bad or a cracked rim...
                            but the place i work at or where i am going to get coating done, they never heat up the over 400C, which would not do anything bad to the wheel...

Lastplace, I am also leaning towards bronzey golden... but what do you mean by professional coat bro?
                            all i meant was that a professional should do the work cuz ive seen people buy cheap powder coat sets and heat with an old kitchen oven. that may be where cracked rims come from

Comment

Working...
                            X