No announcement yet.

Festiva gas mileage vs newer cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no, the driver may be carrying excess weight, but without the driver the car goes nowhere, so the driver is never considered to be excess.

Ofcourse, I have been told many times that I would be better served by losing MY spare tire instead of the cars'. My response, my gut is actually filled with helium, it helps to offset the weight of this huge fat head I have to carry around.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

I just tell everyone that its "digestive muscle".
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

trying to keep the festiva in the lightweight(2000-2500 lb) class. Right now the festy is ~1700, I'm 250, and 60lbs for fuel.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

lol my festiva just lost some weight, with all the driving i had to do i was bitching about the price of gas a few weeks ago. my mom told me to stop bitching and do something about it. so i told her that if it his 3 bucks a gallon the interior was comming out. she though i was joking...i still havn't had time to get all of the sound deadening tar crap out of it but so far so good. who needs a dash anyway?
          Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
          1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
          1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
          2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

It wasn't the government, it was the SAE that came up with a new test.

When I bought my aspire it got 18 mpg.

I fought tooth and nail to get it where it is now. Now I'm getting 37 to 41 mpg in the summer and about 30 to 35 in the winter.

I've got every tank logged in a little notebook for about the past 2 years. I've been obsessing over my mileage for some time now.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

i have been getting bout 55 to 60 on the freeway since i gutted the interior, next up is fuel injection and some of those plastic racing seats from summit...12 lbs each. i'm gonna mount 2 high back ones up front and 2 lowbacks in place of the rear bench and then take out those heavy braces for the rear seat back...might swap out the rear glass for plexi also...havn't decided yet. i think i'll worry about the rust holes i found when i pulled the carpet first.
              Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
              1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
              1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
              2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Tires, Low Rolling Resistance

Something else to consider.
                95 aspire 5 speed

Comment

FYI the festiva isn't 1700 lbs.

its more like 1800...

the very lightest model was 1750 and that was the no-optioned 4-speed carbed model

Adding fuel injection alone adds 35 lbs.

adding power seatbelts another 20 or so.

the newer 90+ models are 1797 with NO OPTIONS

The GL is 1819 w/ NO OPTIONS

A/c add anotehr 30 lbs

Power steering maybe 15-20 lbs

And if you have a 90 LX, your car weighs about 1850 without a/c or PS...

So all considered, a festiva with ALL options weighs abou 1900 lbs.
                  Wil
                  02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                  00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                  05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                  93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                  96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                  93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

After pulling out just the back seats my festiva was still 1780 lbs. Then I stripped out the rest of the trim, spare, jack, ect. Now the weigh station near here is under repair so I can't weigh it.
                    OX SMASH!!

Comment

don't they get pissed when you take a stiva thru a weigh station? my dad took our moving truck thru a weigh station a few weeks ago and he said that he didn't see the weight of the truck... is it normaly available if you just drive thru?

haha.. i feel so stupid.

I'd like to strip the interior on mine too... but i often carry 4 ppl
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

The one here they don't mind if you go through when they are closed. They lock the booth up, but they turn the scale readout towards the window so you can see it. I've never tried when they are open, but I could see them getting pissed at that.
                        OX SMASH!!

Comment

well i FINALLY went through a whole tank in the new Festiva. 39MPG mostly city driving!

Comment

Working...
                          X