front wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel bearings

ok, i guess we learn by our mistakes. When i did the front wheel bearing on the passenger side, after i got it apart, things sort of flew everywhere. i got the old wheel bearings off. I changed out the reases (spelling) and put everything back together with new bearings. So now, i figured i needed to change drivers side, got everything apart and noticed one little thing on this one i didnt see on the other one. There is a spacer that goes on top of the inner bearing that i didnt do or see when the other one flew apart. Thats probably why i have a sort of howling from the wheel and its not an alignment problem. So im going to order new bearings for the other side again, but i need the spacer. Does anyone have an extra spacer. Mine is 93 and i imagine they all have it. Ill buy it from you and pay for shipping. Im sure some of you who have done this before know what im talking about. I cant find it in manual because it says take to a repair shop and let them remove and install bearings but im from old days of i can do it, lol. I did it, just didnt know all of it.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

that spacer is a select-fit piece, of which you have 21 different choices. It sets the preload between the bearings. The good news is; they're still available from a Kia dealer (early Rio). The bad news is; you need several of the shims and some special tools, to determine which one is correct.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

There are 21 different spacers and a special tool an procedure to figure out which one you need.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

ok, if i take it to ford dealer or kia dealer can they figure it out. what do you suggest and ty for letting me know. I still have the one off of the wheel i could take down and show them
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Ford dealer, maybe. Most of the techs there have probably never even seen a Festy in the shop, and Ford no longer carries the shims. Kia dealer, probably.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Just make sure the tech knows how to do the proper procedure. A Mazda dealer might know also.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Or get a hub out of the JY that hasn't been messed with and rebuild it!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

brilliant, John! Sometimes the simplest answer is the best!
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

i would love to get one out of a junkyard but ive checked and there are none here in denver that has one. If someone has a hub or can find one, ill pay for it. There are not a lot of people here in colorado that even drive one. I thank you very much for feedback
                  Last edited by milehighbear; 11-03-2008, 10:47 AM.
                  01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                  X