Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a '90 Festiva auto , your thoughts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a '90 Festiva auto , your thoughts ?

This is an edited version of the vehicle's description :

" Here we have a 1990 Ford Festiva. This car is in pretty good shape. I have driven it 400 miles a week for the last 16 months. In that time I have had to change the gas tank, and put on a new exhaust... as for the motor, it has been recently burning/leaking oil and smoking. When at an idle it is rough but while driving runs great. Again remember i was driving this car 100 miles a day 4 days a week up untill 2 weeks ago....I was averaging 34 to 38 mpg..... I would consider doing an engine rebuild just to be on the safe side, but if this is just an around town car, then keep the oil up and it will should fine."

Overall condition of the car is pretty good. Some minor rust over the wheel wells , but no body damage. Interior looks good.

I'm going to pick it up this weekend. Any thoughts on what might be the problem ? I understand that it could just be worn out rings , valve guides/seals , bad gasket , etc., but I figured I would run it past you guys first to see if there is a common problem with these engines.

Thanks for any help.

PS
    I know, i should have gotten a manual, but the price was right, and even if it gets "ONLY" 30 mpg, that's twice as good as my old pickup truck.

.......................Blake

Welcome to the site.
    How many miles are on the car/engine? I would do the general tuneup along with O2 censor and pcv valve. On the plugs just use the normal ones speced for the car....nothing fancy.....they work the best IMO.
    With all the stuff listed wrong I hope he gave you a good deal....but all is easily fixable.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

101k miles.

I had planned on the basic tuneup , oil flush/change , etc. right off the bat.

Funny you brought up the PCV valve. I was kinda thinkin that it might have something to do with the rough idle. Had a Cavalier that had a bad PCV valve, and it made the car idle real rough and shift funky (auto) too. Changed the PCV, all was good.

I got it for $600. Even if it needs a motor (I hope not), the price was right.

.........................Blake

Comment

Working...
      X