Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok, who's blackmailing Consumer Reports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, who's blackmailing Consumer Reports?

a suprizing statement from Consumer Reports, a typically anti-American product publication;

"Ford leads the domestics
    Ford's three brands-Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury-continue to pull away from the rest of the Detroit automakers. Almost all Ford models are now average or better, with the exception of some that are truck-based. Excluding those, Ford's reliability is now on par with good Japanese automakers."

read the whole article here;
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

We can't believe Ford has gotten that good? Or is it that the Japanese have gotten that bad?

Comment

Oh, I can beleive Ford has gotten that good. I've been saying for almost a decade that Ford's quality has been steadily climbing. I saw it from the inside (seven years working for Ford).
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Go Ford!!!!! Awesome!!!
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

I keep hearing all these problems with the Festiva but my two 88's L Plus and LX were excellent. One 88 L Plus had been abused and neglected and burned oil badly from before 85K. It was still dependable even so. It never broke down on me or the guy I sold it to but got to where it used a quart of oil every 200 miles! I think it was about ready to die with 145K. My 88 LX had 234K on the original clutch, transmission and engien, burned no oil, leaked no oil and only needed a fan switch and ignition module. THAT was a great car.

Comment

That's not that surprising...I work at a shop and 80% of the cars that come in for major repairs are either GM's or Chrysler's (mostly Chrysler's). The only Ford's I get are either Contours (Mystique's) or Taurus's. Don't see that many others...well cept my Festy when I need to work on her...but that doesnt count...lol.

...and when the Fiesta comes out, Ford will be even more competitive.

Comment

you can call me every name in the book, i dont care, i hate ford always have always will sorry haha every since our 98 windstar limited i have hated them, worse car i ever owned. im pulling all the ford emblems off mine as soon as i find appropriate mazda ones. I think Japan has gone down a little, in fact, i see in the near future that Hyundai, the red headed step child of the auto industry, will be number one! Has anybody drove any of there cars latley? The new sonata is far better then the camry and cost less. Pretty much the only kind of car you can't get from them now is a Truck, or a super-car, but i expect them to come out with a fullsize truck in the near future, and has anybody seen the new Genesis coupe, the replacement for the Tiburon? can u say 350z killer?
              (GONE)88 Festiva LX 5 Speed, Factory A/C, Factory Tow Hitch, Tach.
              95k Original miles
              New: Tires, Axels, Front Wheel Bearings, Fuel Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Carb Rebuild, Timing Set, Belts, Shoes, Distributor, CapRotor, Wires, Plugs, Coil, Grant 11" Steering Wheel, 3700 Watt Stereo System-6 1/2 Infinity speakers, Infinity tweeters, Almani 12" subs

Comment

Ford has come a long way. My extended family has had a whole bunch of foci (focus) and no problems with them at all. Those are real fords not rebadgers like our festivas. Ive owned 8-10 small block ford powered cars in the past and they were great to me as well. NOW the Aerostar was crap, Windstar was crap and so were all of the Taurus models. These days with all the warranty competition you are pretty much in the clear no matter what car brand you decide to purchase. If you intend to drive it until the wheels fall off, then doing your reasearch is a good idea.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                  the Aerostar was crap, Windstar was crap and so were all of the Taurus models
                  My mother's '93 sable with 227k and the original engine and transmission begs to differ. However, the two Aerostars rusting at my uncles farm will keep silent.
                  91 lx 4d hatch - first car and would be my father's dd if he would fix the waterpump
                  91 lx 2d hatch - parts car
                  92 lx-e - the quick, beat-up rustbucket
                  98 se - the luxury dd
                  in search of a festy...
                  Going quickly in a slow car is more fun than going fast in a fast car, cause anyone can go fast in a fast car, but you take a car that is essentially not that powerful, and make it do things that its not supposed to be able to do, well that's where the real fun is. - Jay Leno

Comment

Ford has been good for quite a few years. 15-20 as a matter of fact. What they don't tell you is the difference between the best and the worst is very insignificat. That goes for all cars sold in this country. So, look for a swing next time they do their calculations. If you looked at concern/100 vehicles, you could understand the differences a little better. There's not much and hasn't been for quite some time.

It is true, Consumers Reports has flogged the reputation of American cars for years.

Comment

^^^right on, Mike. I follow the industry TGW, or Things Gone Wrong, which is rated per 1000 vehicles. Lowest # of problems is around 100, and highest is around 300, but that's still 20%. Ford usually falls within the 100-150 TGW range.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I dunno... personally I think that somebody up high in Consumer Reports has started driving a Festiva with a BP Turbo swap & has been toasting Vettes & Vipers with it...

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                        In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                          ^^^right on, Mike. I follow the industry TGW, or Things Gone Wrong, which is rated per 1000 vehicles. Lowest # of problems is around 100, and highest is around 300, but that's still 20%. Ford usually falls within the 100-150 TGW range.

If you care to, please explain to those interested what tgw's/1000 mean. There might be some confusion to some.

I haven't looked a JD Powers lately. What's the range of tgw's of say the best 80% of the cars sold in this country? I'd bet the range is much tighter.

Comment

Working...
                          X