Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She tries harder(hertz less) & has a better idea!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She tries harder(hertz less) & has a better idea!!

I've been trying to gently coax ultra-hot Seattle/New York musician Amy Denio(<http://www.amydenio.com>) who I know only slightly,* to at least get 13" rims and maybe the Festiva Motor Sports springs on the back of her "Petunja" Festiva, she drives often on the freeway with the stock set-up, like even into Vancouver, B. C. from Seattle where there are long wide open stretches of 70 mph roadway, and especially so at musicianly hours; who emails she hasn't a problem in the world with her car's handling, ride, stability, etc.

When I drove my Festiva pure stock if I'd even glance down at the speedometer on the freeway at speed trying to keep up with heavy traffic barreling along at 70 or even faster if trying to maneuver safely or the crowd just felt like picking up steam collectively say on I-80 coming into the bay area from the east; I'd feel like when I looked back at the road again I'd possibly be over half a lane or more if not very precisely attentive, I think ultimately because the rear springs were so flimsy and those shocks so worn, though the 12" wheels and tires undoubtedly contributed greatly to the effect.

I guess I shouldn't worry if she doesn't; but another musician girl friend of hers my age I'd been lovers with about ten years ago Cynde' Gehman, who'd been unbearably independent about the maintenance of her '80s vintage HONDA civic wagon I'd once chanced to be with when she'd been dealing with an especially devious indigent looking mechanic fleecing her-and outrageously acting towards me as if I'd been his accomplice; as she'd tried to get the complex carburation to function adequately as a working girl whose day gig as a legal secretary was at least a job in woe be gone Humboldt county though not at all lucrative since in a low-income legal aide office,(and those Honda carb problems as the systems age are supposed to be nightmares to care for I think I'd heard elsewhere) makes me wonder if I might somehow be more influential in proffering my recommendations?

That said another woman musician I'd run into,(Mondalayo/Ariel Tradition, involved then around Jamacian roots player[aka] Asher/Bongo Asher/Tony Brisker who'd played cungas with THE TWINKLE BROS, etc.) never had a problem shifting in or out of second in my '66 VW square back I'd invariably had to double-clutch to avoid a painful sounding grind in the deteriorated synchros, who'd always shifted normally herself, the whole show astounding me; I guess was just due to her wholly relaxed persona and lack of any hurry whatsoever, reasonably if very rare in most drivers, who herself had known the hustle is advantageous only when at either points A or B and almost never in between, as I imagine good ambulance & fire truck drivers and even the occasional cop or two understand over a fairly short haul?(don't mind me if I've slighted some other drivers catagories; I'm so brainwashed by the boob tube in some cultural fashions those were the first images to come to mind)

So that I have to guess perhaps Amy's driving style is so entirely unusual compared to mine, that perhaps she really is relaxed and quite reasonably safe and relaxing to herself as she is; whose musical competence is like in a different universe from mine, like us Alfred E. Newmans of the world compared to the Einsteins, etc.(I'd gotten my initial enthusiasm to build my driving skills via motor sports and especially fantasizing about formula one, CanAm, SCCA, and open wheel oval track stuff where in Eugene, OR the masterful Art Pollard was a regular treat I got to see drive a few times as a child at the speedway there)

*though in the sense some people refer to an especially useful mentor for instance as their "musical father," so that in that way we are sort of romantically involved where I'm a "musical dunce though beloved boyfriend;"(her of the type soul who can get along just as well with more than one if a well enough balanced set) who is comfortingly linked despite an apparent contradiction due to things I do more or less in spite of myself, which are interesting enough in a general sense to promote our continuing interest in each other through the fundamental wealth of music to entertain, and sometimes go much deeper also.(you've all seen THE BENNY GOODMAN STORY starring Steve Allen?)(or better yet SAINT LOUIS BLUES with Louis Armstrong, Red Callendar, Barney Bigard and others; which I haven't yet, though Red Callendar was the bassist on the very first recording of "Louie Louie" as a studio musician in LA ,with Pink Panther/Count Basie tenor saxophonist Plas Johnson also and others, done in '56 I think?)(I share a birthday with Satchmo, also the date of the beginning of the French Revolution; "viva la differance" or some good frog stuff appropriate)

I've been sort of peripheral to her environs in a musical way for really decades and we are just at the point of seeing one another occasionally and I'm more a writer than a musician as my "art" if I really even have one, so lately when she got a chance to hear me tell a good story in person to another woman(English alto saxophonist Caroline Kraabel) she'd been performing with as a duo; which greatly involved Amy's saxophone quartet, this put us somehow on the map so to speak, as a visitable phenomena probably not the Grand Canyon or Manhattan, but a worthy stop nonetheless.
    (anyone more curious might visit <http://theicarusproject.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13500>)
    Last edited by bobstad; 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM. Reason: clarity
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Bob , looks like you have a large load of furniture on top there !! WOW

Hey .. where did you get that Miles license plate frame from ??

I see you got the pics figured out .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Perhaps I've had too many Margaritas, he's starting to make sense. lol. Just kidding.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thats getting the most out of your festy! Good job Bob! I use to carry around a full size fishing boat and 800 #'s worth of crap in a Geo metro..still got 40mpg!
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

^^ +1. I hauled home probably a couple of tons of mulch, 6 bags at a time, in the back of the Batstiva. Found where I could get it for free, and hauled it until there was no more. Plus I hauled enough camping gear for 5 people for two weeks, food and, uh, beverages, included, the the back, and still had room for two people. Amazing what you can haul in/on one of these things.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Road Trip

This is a rest area on I-5 just south of Olympia, WA I think the second or fourth trip of seven between Eureka, CA and Bellingham, WA.(February or March, 2008)

I spent a lot of time wrapping visqueen then blankets to hold the plastic down, around the hid-a-bed and overstuffed chair, but no rain all 675 miles. You can bet if I'd not protected everything, then it would've rained.

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Nice Rhodes Bob!
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Miles Ahead(Gil not Bill, nor Dale/Dan come to that!)

the Miles license plate frame is to reference the late trumpeter; gotten at a monstrous Chevrolet dealership by that same name in Woodburn, OR along I-5.

A hitch-hiker was aboard who'd approached at a rest area north of there dropped at his destination Grants Pass, OR("Granite Pants") a friend of Bill Gates and a ghetto-born NBA star he'd grown up with; himself a learned aficionado of some extreme strain of particularly obnoxiously proffered musical genre'* I'd given assuming he'd get great enjoyment friend Bert Wilson's cd CONCERT AT THE BACH DANCING AND DYNAMITE SOCIETY-when Bert'd been in the line-up of drummer James Zitro's group the ZYTRON Aquarian Ensemble, given me for $15 at Bert's Oly home hours before.(a shaven headed monstrous youth I'd shared a 22 oz can of STEELE RESERVE stashed to enjoy alone with, he'd ignominiously stirred with a fore-finger the portion he'd divided for me into a recycled paper coffee cup riding shotgun as we drove as I'd loudly, vainly protested)

The Fender piano is one a criminal(Dave El-therhodesman.com) did a couple minor repairs to, adjusted & tuned and offered $1500 to buy then saw me bleed for when I'd returned March of 2006 to retrieve the instrument from his Kennewick, WA home/shop; who suffers delusional conservatism engendered by reactionaries out to exploit gentle genius souls: I'd paid $200 for(& $15 to deliver) during the long nine months FestivaL car was vacationing alone in Tillamook, OR after bending a connecting rod there on a failed mercy mission December 16th, 2001 to friend Fran Tougas/Morgan stricken that month with the flu in Olympia, WA attempted during one of the worst storms of the winter following an impromptu phone call after strict beverage reinforcement preparing a video Sunday featuring many NFL gladiator hours at home in the Eureka, CA apartment while legally impaired from driving following a DUI due to a brake malfunction April 15th and Easter Sunday of 2001-my only** moving violation since '70 thanks to the brake job one of the car's "selling points" sold me by the original owner a Coast Guard jet helicopter mechanic in Eureka through whose hands and likely a teen son's a crucial pin the right front caliper is supposed to float on seized to instead from lack of lubrication though all came out well in the wash, apparently?(a dramatic event sideswiping an '82 year old's pristine white '80s Mazda four-door dawdling at the bottom of the northbound Trinidad, CA off-ramp I'd jumped a curb to the left of to avoid rear-ending almost 125 feet after the brakes finally took hold and locked just that far from the stop sign as I'd meditated on his "PHYSIX" vanity plates-the most recent time I've seen them; on the back of a larger, later model, grey Mazda though State Farm paid about $3000 for cosmetics to the other-which if judging by the scars more decoration on the Festiva someone made out like a bandit repairing not to mention the seven grand or so I lost to fines, other state fees, insurance spikes and a phony $600 blood/breath comparison analysis August 9th of 2001 in Burlingame, CA I stupidly let myself get talked into as the local carrion seeking mechanisms self-engendered all the preening vapid vultures from close and far around)

*by only quoting me the band's names he thought worthy...

**discounting one Harley only speed trap when caged by surrounding cars forcing the pace on the '73 Sprint '82 in Simi Valley; giving tickets for five over legal like invitations to a ball.
                Last edited by bobstad; 11-08-2008, 04:39 AM. Reason: missing an apostrophe; a catastrophe!(Rhodes trip) etc.

Comment

Working...
                X