Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incredible 50 mpg plus Festiva mileage doubtful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredible 50 mpg plus Festiva mileage doubtful?

Hey,

I was at the very end(most recent) of the Northwest regional posts(to try to find a place to do the front half of the Aspire brake swap I'd started in Eureka, CA when I'd had a garage and also back yard and the sort of neighborhood where I could even do the work on the street; but now might as well be in a motel, which this apartment complex resembles in every way) and noticed someone who'd posted just before me claiming they averaged 53 mpg driving around in the mountains somewhere here in Washington state.

I hate to burst someone's bubble perhaps; but they are the original owners of a '91 Festiva I think they'd said, and probably people like that are who give the cars the reputation of being so pokey since driving on the 12" rims the speedometer is always reading well over 5 mph higher than reality. Which would also give a much better mpg average.

I have 13" rims and 155 R80 13 tires and multiply times 1.03 to get accurate odometer readings from monitoring miles traveled both from maps and road side signs over long distances as well as those five mile speedometer checks along many highways.

I've also tried to make use of the digital electronic devices that tell a person's speed as they drive; and try to consider at 70 mph indicated on the speedometer I'm likely about 2 mph faster.

I drove on the 12" rims a little while when I first had the car and once on the twisty road going down 101 from Eureka to Cloverdale which crosses one more or less pass sometimes closed due to snow winters, I remember getting a supposed 50 mpg, but I'd always think all the other cars were going well over the speed limit in any situation where I had to try to keep up with everyone else, which with my way of thought only made me imagine they were frantically impatient dealing with the profoundly demanding abuse of capitalist society; until I got the 13" '87 Mazda 323 rims, which then transformed my persona and intelligence a great deal.

I think when they made the Festivas they were designed for 13" wheels and somehow they stuck on 12" ones instead. My speedometer is much more accurate with the 13" rims and I wonder if anyone knows the true story?
    Last edited by bobstad; 11-07-2008, 06:17 PM. Reason: typo
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Bean counters always worry about the cost of the tires on new cars. Even in 2003 the dodge srt-4 came with michelins. in 2004 the car got the LSD transmission but received some bfgoodrich tires that are doodoo. Being the rock bottom lowest priced car at the time 100 dollars tire difference makes sense with percentage cost of the whole car.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

155-80-13 tires, you should be multiplying by 1.077. Theyre 7.7% bigger than stock.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

with 175/70/13 on my car and my GPS , my speedo in right on the money according to it , no matter what speed I am travelling.

Not sure how much more accurate that could be .
        ------------------------------------------------
        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

multiply times 1.077 ?!?!

Wow! That means my gas mileage just improved...wait till I get the log book out; which may enjoy its first trip inside my fixed landed domicile ever, to be recalculated; though if my experience via the speedometer is true and I can't doubt that, then this is well...something I can't easily figure in my head...one "deadhead" friend thinks inane I figure the mileage at all, but without for instance the influence of motor sports which are related, I'd not be as conscious as I am via fantasy which often supports reality with verve is the theory at least!?(as often a "vehicular resident" with definite Rromani[Gypsy)] ancestry;* I'm compelled to try to define the various realms of empathy life leads me through including dealing with justice issues in stringent situations of materialism in which despite apparently only modest qualities I'm seemingly able to surround myself with good resources relevant to many realms of endeavor in a great variety of cultures and societies despite personally being a bit of a reluctant recluse)

*I hardly use "the G-word" and only discovered this unusual aspect of my lineage about eleven years ago, but which seems to've been lain in wait as a "need to know" phenomena.

There is no greater love; if we'd hope, a plethora equal!
          Last edited by bobstad; 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM. Reason: accuracy, fraternity, duty, the love of the naive and friends

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

fine tune, lyrically deficient?(who needs words, dance!)

depending on which brand, PACKRAT427?(probably not too serious a consideration here, as DISCOUNT TIRES offers their KUMO blackwall 155R80-13, four out the door around $192; and this is an upscale nearly yuppie market on an international border to boot!)

I'd guess a 155R80-13 gets the best gas mileage hands down?(I'd stupidly installed a set of Monroe-Matic Load Levelers on the rear of my '66 VW square-back type III more or less lived out of the dozen years we were together['82-'94] which bolted in perfectly, though designed for the type II[bus] so a buckboard ride unless loaded like an arsenal; so that though the ride of the Festiva is temptingly improved almost beyond belief with wider tires, I'm still a little fond of the effects of the FMS springs and KYBs all the way around as is)

Comment

with my 155/80/12's....according to my speedo and gps....they are exact match for mph. The 185/60/14's that I have on at the moment and used differant ones of the same size this past summer....my speedo is of by approximately 3 mph slower then what I am really going according to the gps.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

not that I'm doubtful, just dubious?

I'd run into someone who'd seemed convinced their 12" Festiva set-up had been accurate.

I remember with the '75 Chevy 1/2 ton short frame van I'd had one could change the nylon gear in the speedometer there were several different toothed ones of Chevrolet sold.(or was this my VW?) I was told there is no such selection for the Festiva, so I have to assume all the speedometers are identical?

With that logic my own conclusions necessarily are porous as a sieve.(got one up my sleeve somewhere; no tattoo except on the $30 piccolo snare drum from Musician's Friend in the back room every once in a while assuming I'm considerate in this warren like apartment)

I don't know anything about it, but I wonder if anyone hacks gps?(seems like a toy to market to the plutocracy, but then I have no real idea about that and perhaps this country is some sort of a vast r & d area where a citizen has the wherewithal often to absorb many things peculiar of a moment?)

Comment

Love the pics BobWhan ! Somehow I figured you as a bumper sticker guy ! I see Somnambulance is the focal center. Now you just need a FordFestiva.Com sticker !! I have one Ill send you just PM me your addy.

Last edited by freshtiva; 11-08-2008, 03:16 AM.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                  X