New retirement plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New retirement plan

Stopped into a local Ford dealer this afternoon to order a new OEM thermostat for the Festiva. Sitting there in the showroom, right outside the parts counter was a brand new 2008 40th Anniversary (1968-2008) Shelby GT500KR on display. It was black with flat black stripes (odd combo but looked very cool and sinister). The sticker price was just over $47K, and I thought to myself.........................

A) Congress is having discussions about nationalizing my 401K (think of Soc Sec fate)
    B) Even if congress leaves it alone, the stock market is crap right now
    C) The big 3 are in dire straights and may be on the way out
    D) I attended training on GH Gas Emissions tracking for the Energy Industry this week
    E) The future will be in electric hybrid or CNG autos
    F) There will always be gearhead with money

A+B+C+D+E+F= The probable end of the American Muscle car as we know it! Maybe my 401K retirement would be as well or better off being invested in a new GT500KR. If, in 30yrs, there is no value left in it, I could always rest happy knowing I own it.
    Obviously, the "X" in this equation is my wife....................
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

I say buy it. And remember its easier to get forgiveness then permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

brian, my wife says your a dog for putting info out like that for men to see, lol
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

brian is a man of wisdom.

Comment

With that car you could find a new girl....good luck with the wife!
          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
            brian, my wife says your a dog for putting info out like that for men to see, lol
            Follow my advice and you'll find out why I'm not married!!!
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, sounds familiar. I did something similar a few years back with my 401k, although I was only 30 at the time giving me time to rebound from it. It depends on how old you are and how bad you want it. If you are anything like me you will be 401k'less when it is time to retire. Because of that, I am planning on letting the lottery commission take care of my retirement.
              -Bryant

Comment

I thought the 500kr listed for 80k.... am I wrong?

Comment

You're right, KR is 80 and some change...standard gt500 is 43 base. Our Ford dealer closed, so I can't go drool.

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
                  '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
                  '68 Mustang Coupe
                  '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

Buy it and your wife will still be the "ex" in the equation.

Celebate the 40th anniversary with and original restored KR. Much better investment.
                    Last edited by David88; 11-14-2008, 11:03 AM.
                    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

The more I thought about it I decided it would not be a good idea. In NE law, half of the 401K is my wife's, hence, half of the Shelby would be hers. I would either pay for my transgression for untold years or she would divorce me. In event of divorce, we would either have to sell the car to split the proceeds or she would get the car in the divorce. Then I would get the privilege of seeing her NEW boyfriend/husband cruise around town in MY new Shelby. Don't think I'll go there............

It was definitely a 500KR. The "40th anniversary 1968-2008" badges would indicate a KR since '67 was the first GT500 and mid-'68 was the first KR. Also, it had the GT500KR in the rocker stripes and the KR snorkel hood instead of the "air extractor" hood. The MSRP on a 500KR is indeed $80K+. I went back to look at it again and it had "NOT FOR SALE" typed in big letters across the middle of the factory window sticker, so I don't know what the deal is with the $47K on the bottom line. Maybe that was the base 500 price before all the KR options are added. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it anyway.
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                      X