Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide trailer hitches with removable tongue on ebay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide trailer hitches with removable tongue on ebay?

Here's the link:

They say they have a hundred of these. What do ya'll think?

I don't have Paypal so if this turns out to be a legitimate product, I'll need to go in on it with someone nearby or who will be attending Ohiostiva this spring. I don't need this right away, but I'd like to have one! A removable tongue would be nice.

Thoughts?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Here's a link to the manufacturers installation instructions for this hitch.

As you can see it's not quite the same as what's shown in the photos in the ad.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I'd like to have a receiver hitch for my festy to put my bike rack on, but the rack is for 2". And I don't really trust the thing to make a 2" to a 1 1/4" (I'm guessing thats the size of the one for the festy) when I have $5000 worth of bikes on the back, ha.

Comment

Hey Karl,

I think that would be a perfect setup if you welded in a cross piece like I made on mine, from tie down to tie down, or even, unibody to unibody "frame rails".

Fastening flat stock to the spare tire well, like on the eBay model is good, but in my opinion, is only good front to rear, not up and down.

On the eBay model, it seems to me, the bumper is going to be the pivot point. Granted, even if you have zero tongue weight, you hit a bump, there's going to be tongue weight, and I think it will push the spare tire metal upwards. Doesn't seem to be very strong metal in that area. Though I kinda wish I would have added it to my setup for the the displacement of energy, front to rear.

I just know what has worked for me.
        ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
        #2 .....Cheesehead
        #3 '91 White - Donor Car
        #4 .....Montana Project
        SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
        Bought her back for $450
        Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

I have a 2" reciever hitch I got from Uhaul cant remember exactly how its mounted though.I never had any problems towing,stopping was a challenge.....lol
          96 Ford F-150 XLT
          93 Festiva L (Modified)
          92 Festiva L
          68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Hey guys i bought this exact product, it isn't like the picture at all, its the kink that bolts to the bumper and to the spare tire well, its a fixed hitch with no removable reciever. Its not what it says it is but I was still happy with it, its heavy duty and once mounted is very solid. I think it is still a good product but just so you know it isn't the reciever style that is shown.

Comment

Thanks all.

I see from the manufacturer's install instructions that it is just like mine, though I used two bolts per side into the bumper after chopping holes to put in the nuts for those bolts. They used one "square U-bolt" per side. Thanks for the link, Ian.

I may get one of these in the future. They cost a bit less than the used one I bought.

Levitan, if this one had the removeable tongue, I'd consider your modification. I'm not sure it would be worth it on this design. What do you think?

If any spring Ohiostiva participants have Paypal and want one too, lemme know.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Karl,
                I wouldn't pay that much for that particular design. I'd modify yours if it has a removeable ball.

Is the flat bar the ball bolts through, the receiver? Or is the square hole that the removeable ball slides into the receiver?

Anyways, you have a general idea of what you want. I'd go the thrift shops and whatnot. Mine is the the 1 1/2" square hole that the pin slides through. For my set up, all you need is that square piece. Then it is welded to the fabbed flat, side to side, stock (mine had a bolt through the flat stock also, which was tack welded), then the angle iron welded on top of that for up and down strength.

Speaking of bolt. My "original" hitch had one bolt that held the square part to the horizontal stock. You might be able to go to a jy, and find that hitch setup. You'd just remove the 2 bolts from the bottom of the bumper, then the one bolt that holds it to the back bracing. You can get the ball and whatnot at any McAuto Parts Stores later. You just need the square stock that has the pin holes. The rest you can fab up.

Mine had the angles that were intended to bolt to the bottom of the bumper, but my cousin ground them off, and, imo, they aren't needed on my setup....though they would be of help, I'm sure. I didn't want to cut up the bumper cover or put holes in it. Not sure why considering the bumper cover isn't anything special on my car. I was trying to make it where my hitch was removeable and able to put on another Festy, and it is removeable with a little attitude adjustment with a hammer.

If you have a welder or have a buddy who welds good, you will be able to build my setup for less than what that one is going for and I damn sure wouldn't pull a Festiva with that new one.
                Last edited by Levitan; 11-24-2008, 01:00 AM.
                ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                #2 .....Cheesehead
                #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                #4 .....Montana Project
                SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                Bought her back for $450
                Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Working...
                X