SHO Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHO Question

Since there are so many doing the SHO V6 swap, does anyone know about swapping from a 98 SHO (3.4L V8 )?

all i know is it's auto ONLY if you go that route.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I heard the V8 version is not as reliable or as powerful
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

stay away from the 3.4L. Cam sprockets shear off the cam, causing valve clash with the pistons. They're underpowered, and parts are literally non-exisitant. That engine is best relegated to a museum at this point.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Ah, ok. I wasn't really thinking about doing, just wondered why I haven't heard much about it. Kinda figured that was something not good about it. I just saw a guy on craigslist down here was parting out one, ha.

Comment

I've heard the engine are fairly reliable if the cams have been modified to fix their problem. I haven't done much research on them though, so I don't know about other reliability issues.
            91 lx 4d hatch - first car and would be my father's dd if he would fix the waterpump
            91 lx 2d hatch - parts car
            92 lx-e - the quick, beat-up rustbucket
            98 se - the luxury dd
            in search of a festy...
            Going quickly in a slow car is more fun than going fast in a fast car, cause anyone can go fast in a fast car, but you take a car that is essentially not that powerful, and make it do things that its not supposed to be able to do, well that's where the real fun is. - Jay Leno

Comment

The SHO V-8 was the worst design from the SHO series. Jumped valve timing causing serious problems, was slower than the V-6, only came in automatic, and dogged its way through life. If you're gonna do a SHO swap just an early V-6 that has a 5spd as well. It will be very fast and lots of fun to drive, just like the SHO taurus was.
              "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
              The little Festy that could...and did!
              (Gone on to a new life)
              -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBoolean View Post
                I've heard the engine are fairly reliable if the cams have been modified to fix their problem. I haven't done much research on them though, so I don't know about other reliability issues.
                correct. you either need to locate cams that haven't slipped at all (most have migrated a degree or two off) or hve your cams dialed in, then either one needs to be properly welded up (sprocket to camshaft). The friction weld Yamaha/Volvo experimented with didn't work too well, which was the major source of failures.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

The V8's have a very nice exotic sound to them though. I guess thats their only redeeming quality.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

There is very little aftermarket for the v/8 sho, some guys supercharge them but thats about it.

The design is not bad but not anything great either. All the neat stuff that made the v/6 so great was left off the v/8. Once they are dead thats about it, you cant even get head bolts for them, they are the throw away "torque to yeild" style.
                    Last edited by NovaSS; 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM.
                    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

since we're talking about cam slipping, tell me why on earth ford used a fiber-tooth cam gear on my 85 302ci
                      it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Originally posted by Futurefesty90 View Post
                        since we're talking about cam slipping, tell me why on earth ford used a fiber-tooth cam gear on my 85 302ci

to make them quiet
                        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

it sure kept it quiet enough for me to scratch my head for about 2 months.
                          the gear looked like a saw blade when i took it out.
                          it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Working...
                          X