Clear All

• Acetone in fuel UP MPG

I drive 100 miles for work a day

I have tried some things

I use 2 ounces per 10 gallons
    gallons you put in times .2

and I have gotton 5-8 mpg gain

95 aspire 5 speed

Kiss your rubber fuel lines goodbye. Acetone eats rubber. You'd be better off using a proper fuel injector cleaner.

Comment

All it's doing is cleaning up the sludge, same as a fuel injector cleaner would. but it's doing tons of damage to your fuel lines and pump. I wouldn't want to be in the car when your fuel return line blows and sprays fuel on a hot exhaust manifold.

10gallons * .2 = 2 gallons

I rate that almost in the http://www.kalecoauto.com/ category.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Read the link

Acetone------petroleum desolate

most fuel additive -------Petroleum desolate

Acetone to the vapor just a little above gasoline in the still

all rubber in the fuel system will not be affected by acetone

it just the stuff in the fuel additives

why pay for a label and a little bottle when you can get a gallon.

I use 2 ounces per 10 gallons
        gallons you put in times .2 = so many ounces to put in
        128 * 10 =1280/2=640 ----------- 1 part acetone 640parts gasoline
        15gallons*.2=3 ounces
        95 aspire 5 speed

Comment

Toluene or paint thinner. I saw a article in Sport compact that told how much to mix with 93 octane to get 97 octane. Oh are we talking about fuel mileage? sorry.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

acetone is dimethylketone. It's related to alcohol, think of it as a fat based alcohol. All ketones love to eat plastic, acetone is the best, but any poly hoses WILL degrade. Natural rubber will also degrade, but at a slower rate. The very low concentration of acetone might make it take a really long time, but it will be eating your fuel lines. I am going to stop by napa on the way home and get some fuel line to test with, I'll get pics naturally.

I was wrong about the toxicity, acetone will biodegrade in water very fast. I know it releases CO2 and CO when it burns, not sure if it's more or less than gas. Just don't breathe the fumes. If you're going to keep any in your car don't have more than a small bottle, enough for one or two fills.

This stuff is a oxygen inhibitor, so it can kill you if you breathe too much. Luckily it smells bad long before it's strong enough. Odor threshold 13ppm, saftey threshold 1000ppm.

I only read the first little bit of their site, I remain skeptical, I'll read more later.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

ok, so I started my test.

OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain

http://www.oxbrain.org/fueltest/
                very scientific! i can't wait to see what happens
                marc
                white 93 GL / 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain

http://www.oxbrain.org/fueltest/
                  I LOVE science. Rawk on!
                  Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

could the immediate yellowing be the printed ink on the hose?

Comment

updated. I'm going to let this go until monday althought I think it's pretty conclusive already.

I had thought at first that the yellow was from the ink, but the ink is still there and just as bright as ever. I'm thinking now that it is from the small fibers that are sandwiched between the two layers of rubber.

OX SMASH!!

Comment

You know what's really scary?

First the reality that people would think to put acetone in their fuel system. That's scary.

What's REALLY scary. In real life the acetone is moving in those hoses adding erosion as a factor. Then add in that the fuel is pressurized to 40-50PSI... SCARY!

Wonder how many people we pass on the road every year have tried this?

Abe
                        Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

so to some up what we've learned:

adding acetone at low concentrations will give you about 10 percent better mileage

acetone eats rubber

my deducing says:

if 100 percent acetone eats it in a day, 0.00156 percent (which is your 1 part acet. to 641 parts gas) would take a hundred thousand days, but Abe was probably right about pressure speeding up the process, so who knows...

oxbrain (or anyone else who can buy this stuff): do you think you could do a test with different concentrations of acetone? maybe 50, 30, 10 and then we can extrapolate the results or something. this would probably take a week at least, maybe more though and it'll be effort for sure
                          marc
                          white 93 GL / 5spd

Comment

I still don't understand how acetone makes gas mileage go up.

After all, it has about 75% of the energy of gasoline.
                            www.dantheoilman.com
                            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

the reason given for the increase in milage is that it helps the fuel to atomize faster. Without testing it for myself I can't say if I believe that.

Acetone is available at any store. It's also nail polish remover, but I don't know what concentration that is. You can get it at a hardware store in >99%. About $10 per liter.

If I were to re-do this test I would plumb the piece of tube to a pump so I could get the 40psi. This would also keep the acetone inside the line only as it could have absorbed through the cloth layer.

The problem with doing this test with more realistic concentrations is the time required. It might take a year or two to have any results.

The thing I wanted to show was that the acetone does indeed degrade a fuel line. Even if it would take 90,000 miles before it broke, thats still long before a line would fail on it's own. If your fuel return line broke it wouldn't shut off the engine, wouldn't even pop on a warning light. If it got into the ALT or coil it could start an engine fire in no time. Not something I want to increase my risk of.

Given that the mpg increase is accurate, this could still be cost effective. $5-10 in fuel lines every 10-20k miles.
                              OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X