Ford -F150 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford -F150 question

This is just a general question not on my Festiva, but for my ford truck because their are so many smart car and truck people here. My odometer is digital and when i first start it in morning, the readings show up, complete mileage and mileage from last fill up. But if i stop, turn it off, then start again, it comes on, then goes off and wont come on again until it cools way down, or i drive it for long trip like 25 or more miles. Any takes on this. And if im not suppose to post this, let me know.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Just a venture but i would say that your cluster is going out. There are no cables just wires on the back of it.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Ty for that info. I guess i can live with it. Just wondering if maybe something was getting to warm that i should look for. I know its not a festiva, but its still a ford, i like fords.
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I bet FB71 knows the answer.
        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
        - Unknown
        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I sure do! But, so did Wes! He's correct, the PSOM (Progammable Speedometer Odometer Module) is dying. Classic symptoms. Only cure is a replacement, or it might possibly be repairable by an automotive radio repair shop.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

well, i also joined a Ford Forum and asked the question and two people told me theres did the same thing and even sent me a link to go to showing pictures and what is happening is there are a couple of places on the back of speedometer board that the machine that was doing the welds had a defect and was not soldering the joints like it was suppose to and i need to pull the board out and look at them with a magnifying glass and you can see the bad soldering job. They sent me pictures and everything on what to look for. They are just like people on this site and very helpful. So ill have to pull dash apart some and they showed me pictures also where all screws are and what to take apart. I also thank you guys because it could also be what you are saying. I wont know for sure until i pull it apart. So thanks again festivawes, monsoon and FB71 you guys are always there when someone needs something.
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Milehighbear....I would go w/ FB71's opinion, depends on the year of your truck, there are resistors, capacitors and IC's that fail all the time...I'm not sure a quick re-soldering will fix the issue? I hope it does my friend...

wish ya good luck...(really)
              Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
              2002 BMW 745i
              2002 BMW 325i
              1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

yea, im keeping their thread just in case. Gonna be a while before i take the cluster out anyway, getting too cold here in denver to work on the truck at moment. I can get my festiva in my garage but not my truck so i can live with it not working right for now. My speedometer works great, its just the digital odometer reading thats not working. It will only take me about half hour or so to find out if one of solder joints are bad but gotta wait for a warm spell to do it. They say it costs about 350.00 for new cluster so half hour of looking aint gonna hurt me none., ty ski
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

try a junk yard....believe it or not, when I got a new cluster for my Festiva (w/ tach) the mileage on it was 200 miles off! I was so lucky....117,000 miles and it was off by 200 miles...wow! So you never know???

What year is your truck?
                  Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
                  2002 BMW 745i
                  2002 BMW 325i
                  1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

my truck is a 2001 F-150 supercab
                    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                      well, i also joined a Ford Forum and asked the question and two people told me theres did the same thing and even sent me a link to go to showing pictures and what is happening is there are a couple of places on the back of speedometer board that the machine that was doing the welds had a defect and was not soldering the joints like it was suppose to and i need to pull the board out and look at them with a magnifying glass and you can see the bad soldering job. They sent me pictures and everything on what to look for. They are just like people on this site and very helpful. So ill have to pull dash apart some and they showed me pictures also where all screws are and what to take apart. I also thank you guys because it could also be what you are saying. I wont know for sure until i pull it apart. So thanks again festivawes, monsoon and FB71 you guys are always there when someone needs something.
                      that's what the primary cause was, cold solder joints. Can't hurt it to resolder the joints. Use a 30W pencil-tip iron. Don't stay on the joint any longer than needed to whet the joint, to avoid overheating the components.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

thanks Jim for info on pencil tip iron. The guys told me also to use one and not a soldering gun. Have a good day sir
                        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                        X