Exhaust for B6 Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for B6 Plans

I bought a B6 for Luxstiva and need to begin collecting parts to finish the swap beforehand.

I printed out two of Wil's articles and visited the 323 forums to research stuff. I need to get my exhaust setup ready. The idea is to do the swap as easily as possible and add any performance parts next spring.

The B6 I'm buying has a stock header but no downpipe.

Where's the best place to get a downpipe?

I'll go with a low restriction cat right away. There's a Jeg's close by me. Here's one from their website. It's from Magnaflow. You can click on a link for a picture. It's the 2" in/out sized round cat for $73.99:

Shop Aftermarket Parts For New & Classic Cars Online at JEGS High Performance. Browse Our Collection Of Replacement Automotive Parts Including Engines & Car Accessories. We Have Over 1 Million Parts & 800 Brands To Choose From.

Would this one from Jeg's be acceptable?

My current exhaust is loud and deteriorating, so I doubt I want to re-use any of it. I plan to cut it off and use it to measure out what pipe I need.

I'm going with 2" mild steel pipe. I'll paint everything but the cat before installation.

Are crush bends okay, or should I go with mandrel bends?

I saw a turbo muffler at Meijer's for $18.00. I think it was a Thrush. I'm tempted to go cheap. However, the Magnaflow 4 X 9" and 2" center in/center outs with 14" body looks good to me:

Shop Aftermarket Parts For New & Classic Cars Online at JEGS High Performance. Browse Our Collection Of Replacement Automotive Parts Including Engines & Car Accessories. We Have Over 1 Million Parts & 800 Brands To Choose From.

It's the first choice on that link page. Sixty bucks is okay with me.

What should I go with?

I plan to cut off my current exhaust and take it to a local shop so they can bend the 2" pipe for me and weld on appropriate hangers. I'll probably buy the new rubber isolator hangers and clamps from the shop.

Does my plan sound about right?

Any other advice appreciated.

(Also keep in mind I hope to add a FMS header in the spring.)

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

well just go to the junkyard and buy a downpipe, mandrel is always better than crush bends as for the cat anything that is 2 inches is fine.
    the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Well I'll probably just go to Jeg's and get their advice on putting together an exhaust system. They have some cool connectors and other possibilities.

I'll check the yards for downpipes and if it looks too hard to snatch one or none are available, I'll check with the muffler shops.

This week I'll put Lux high up on four jackstands and study the bottom for exhaust routing and other things.

I need to buy my first creeper now!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
      X