axle diameter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle diameter??

hey new to ff.com. love the threads though, couldn't o' got my car running w/o them, w/o cussing the entire history of the wheel etc. 154 times. anyways. just replaced axle on the right side of a car i'm working on, but the rebuilt one was noticeably smaller in diameter. checked it with the left side and it matched. maybe thats why the axle and control arm ball joint fell off! does any one know if it makes a difference? the width that is. everything else is the same, except the old axle has a wierd rubber disc? around the middle.
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Automatic tranny's have thicker axels then manual trannys. Is your car an auto trans?
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

5 spd manual, maybe the previous owner used an auto axle on the left side and a manual on the right. well at least i've got two that are the same now. don't think i'll put em in till i'm sure though. those cv's are near impossible to get out in one piece! had to pull my last engine w/ them still on!

Comment

The auto axel won't fit in a manual trans.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

axle diameter??

sweet, it should fit then, looked like the ends were the same but the rod was definitely smaller... i guess if it fits it's a manual. i know the people at the parts store, pretty sure they got me the right part. meh it's my bro's car anyway and he was givin me a hard time the other day... maybe i'll check it with my festy just for kicks. weird that there were 2 different sizes in the car though.

Comment

several different manufacturers made the axles. It's not suprizing to find different shaft diameters.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
            X