Need help in the Knowledge Department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
    talk with Pu241. He installed FMS springs, and has noted a measurable increase in fuel economy on highway.
    Yes, that is true!
    Using FMS Springs in the front only, coupled with the KYB-GR2 struts (Not the best combination), I can, with a lot of effort, achieve 56+ MPG. I also run 13" Mazda 323 alloys with 175/60/13 rubber. This is on a car with 230K miles.
    I feat I can not even come close to with my newer ride with less than 100K miles on it using OEM steel wheels with 155/80/12's.

Note all festivas I've had the chance to reference the odometer are less than accurate. One of the first things I do is take it for a drive on a mile marker highway, usually interstates. This way I have a known measured distance. write down your starting odo reading and the mile marker number. Then at the end record both and do the math! Rarely do I find that they are close. In some cases I have found as much as 4% between reference and festiva odo readings.
    Got to do this first to get accurate data later.
    rcottle, I though you were a big fan of the 100mpg hho boondoggle!
    Originally posted by rcottle
    I am very interested in this thread so let’s not upset rich-green.
    Why would you be interested in hardware and technology that does work when you can put your automotive faith in the mystical power of "HHO gas"?
    You seem like an intelligent guy, at least you can ask the right questions. Which is more than I can say for the other supporter of that thread.
    If you want real info on HHO check this thread out:

Yblock has produced some of the best info I've seen on HHO.
    Unfortunately, he has not been on this sight since 10/24, but hopefully he will return with an up date.
    As for green rich I wouldn't expect much!
    Last edited by Pu241; 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Just as a note for all who use mile markers. They are not exact. I work for a consulting engineering firm and have done numerous road jobs for the DOT. The first thing we do when we get to a job is put lathe along the side of the road every 1000 ft. Rarely are the mile markers 5,280 feet apart. They can be consistently 500 feet short for 3 miles, which then would put your odometer off by 1/4 mile. The best way to check an odometer in a festiva is to find a police display that shows your mph and compare to your speedo, or find a concrete road like the interstate that has stamped markings on the edge. These stampings along the edge of the driving lane are exact and we use them for calibrating our DMIs (distance measuring instruments) in our trucks. I would not suggest you use the marking along the interstate as that can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Darn!
        But, that might well explain why I get different ratios over different distances of the same road.
        Not a lot, but enough that I question it?
        So usually I just average the readings.
        But, still better than the direct odo readings, but not as accurate as I had hoped!
        Thanks, noname!
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

rcottle,
          Another thing, the FMS lowering spring and KYB-GR2's work, but they are not as nice as skeeeters_Keepers coilovers.
          And certainly not as adjustable.
          Check this thread out for a better option to lowering your vehicle for MPG and better ride and handling!

I believe also you can lower the vehicle even more this route than with the FMS springs!
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Run the tallest narrow tires you can
            Should i maybe try some wheels off of a model "T"
            ROBc

Comment

Originally posted by drof 89 View Post
              Run the tallest narrow tires you can.
              Originally posted by rcottle View Post
              Should i maybe try some wheels off of a model "T"
              Once again as FB71 said, within limits!
              If you lived in a perfectly flat area then 36" rims might be made to be efficient!
              But, because we all live in something less than ideal flat terrain, you in particular in PA (not known for flat or smooth roads), a compromise needs to be me made so as not to make the engine work harder, and burn more fuel than it has too!
              Imagine going up a 5% grade with 36" rims/tires!
              I don't care how thin they are, the engine is not going to be happy!
              the same is true at the opposite extreme.
              8" wheel/tires would make for some interesting starting and cruising too. Actually neither 36" or 8" would be easily adapted to a festiva, they were just examples.
              However I believe many member run 12,13,14, 15 , and maybe 16" wheels/tires!
              Last edited by Pu241; 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM.
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                The best way to check an odometer in a festiva is to find a police display that shows your mph and compare to your speedo,
                I wouldn't trust a police display to give an acurate reading...they have to be calibrated just like a radar gun and can have flaws or self imposed flaws right from the start, if the police are so inclined.
                The best way I have found is a GPS device. It lists speed of travel and distance so you can check your odometer and the speedometer all at the same time. I use it as a speedometer when I am running other then stock tires like I am right now 185/80/13, it throws of the speedo by about 6mph and my distance by 1/10th. When I am running the 155r12's....it is exact with my speedo and odometer.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Commercially available (ie, civilian) GPS has it's limitations... normally plus or minus 5 to 15 meters 2D positional accuracy at any given time... "depending". Best accuracy is achieved when at least 4 satellites are continuously "visible" to your receiver, you have really good signal strength, the road is flat, the atmosphere is clear, calm and dry, you're moving, you're not below treelines nor between tall buildings (multipath signal interference), HDOP is less than 1.0, the GPS almanac is current (which nominally takes 11 minutes to fully update), blah blah blah. All the "experts" disagree as to HOW accurate GPS-determined speed really is... +/- 1 mph? +/- 5 mph? Depends on who's talking as to the quoted accuracy!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                  In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

^^lol....thanks....
                    my GPS is updated weekly if not more....it normally has 4 or more satellite strength and when I look at my speedo and the speed on the GPS is exactly the same all the time, with the 155r12's on it, I would say that it is tracking pretty good.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                    X