Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hi, folks! Me again...am spending way too much time on this site!
    Just a quick note to ask some help and advice. I've just stumbled into cars and am totally addicted. I love them, but I don't have anyone to learn from, so I'm attempting to do it myself. I've done a basic course (brake pad changes etc), but I need to learn more. How do I do it without wrecking my darling 121 or do I throw caution to the wind and start fiddling?

i dont know very much so i try my best to wing it but then agian my car is a peice of junk so i dont care if i break it
    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
    2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

Comment

Its better if you have another car you can drive, or borrow, while you do your surgery. Get a book on the car and read it closely before you try to do some work. It will take you through the major steps of engine rebuilding and other complicated things you might do and show what tools you'll need to complete your project.

Good luck.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

ahh i would say just do a swap get some tools and an engine hoist and go at it i would say a b6 sohc would be the best since you can just use the existing wiring. The best way to learn is to just jump right in and go all out if you mess up you will learn a lot. oh yeah and make sure to get a clutch kit if you have a 5 speed and intake manifold, exhaust manifold, water pump outlet, and thermostat housing gaskets. Just find a b6 from a 323 with intake manifold and exhaust manifold.
        the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Wreckin yards

One thing I've done here where i live is go to the local pull and save lot. It is a wrecking yard that allows you to take your own tools in and pull your own parts for cheap. I don't know if you have access to this sort of thing but I find it quite handy to pay the entry fee then go pull stuff apart for no reason. Just for the practice at taking it apart with out breaking stuff if you break it you just kinda slink away. Other than that as said before it's pretty much jump right in and have a back up vehicle on stand by!
          Festivas are like tie fighters if nicked I swear they will go spinning out of control and explode against the nearest object! I love my '91 Festiva (think I need KIA PRIDE badging tho the name makes me laugh)

Comment

experience

So you think going into junk yards is going to to give the 'HOME'S " goood experience. Heat is your friend. I work at a JY and ive pulled the nastyest of parts. Festiva of Aspiire, EGT or 323, All easy, Unless your talkiing about the 500 000 sebring i did What a BflkjCH.
            1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
            B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

Working...
            X