stupid question, but had to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question, but had to try

lost my keys, broke into my car, no spare, is there anyway another 92 festiva key would work? thanks

there are a lot of Festy's that have interchangable keys....just have to try them. Many have ones that will do that.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

My keys from my 88 will open my 93 but wont work in the ignition.
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Not a stupid question at all. What you can do is find a lock set with a key out of a junkyard car. Probably wont even get charged for it if you do it right. Lot cheaper than a locksmith. They are easy to change, with the exception of the ignition, but its not that hard either.

sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

thanks for the info, if anyone has any key that they think will open and start and 92 festiva id gladly pay, shipping, key copy cost + general compensation.

Comment

The Dr. Destructo route would be to chisel the rivets off the back of the switch tube & pull the switch module apart. Unfortunately doing that means ANYBODY could then start the car if you left it that way. Just another option that could be used. Use your best judgement!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
            In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Originally posted by sam.1956 View Post
              The Dr. Destructo route would be to chisel the rivets off the back of the switch tube & pull the switch module apart. Unfortunately doing that means ANYBODY could then start the car if you left it that way. Just another option that could be used. Use your best judgement!
              those are actually screws holding the cylinder in place...Brian showed me a neat little trick. You use a small saw to cut a groove in it enough to insert a screwdriver and then you can take them out and reuse them if you want.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Here's a how-to from one of the members on the board. He goes into good detail about what is involved in swapping the stuff.

Remember... Having a key to open the doors and a key to start the car suck (ie... my brothers Chevy S10 Blazer - such a dumb idea!)

Hitup the junkyard and find a car that has both doors, hatch and ignition. The gas door should open with any Festiva key, no matter what... But, you could grab that too if you need.
                Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Me thinks the former member who put that together has re-located the accompanying photos which does make a big difference in how helpful the write-up is!
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Oh crap... I didn't even pull up the thread, I just copied the URL and pasted it in.

I guess that's what we get for banning him... :\
                    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

There is a number on the passenger side lock, which a good locksmith should be able to use to get a brand new key cut for the festiva. This is what i did when I bought my festiva at the police auction.
                      The Festiva Store
                      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

You dont need a how to guide to put in different locks and ignition. Its a piece of cake. The door locks would take about ten minutes. Longer on the ignition but nothing complicated. I spent like $12.50 for these and that was just because the steering column was included. Finding locks with the key at the junkyard is the main problem.

sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Another suggestion... Have you tried the Ford dealer? If you have a key blank (available on EBay, Walmart, etc).... They should be able to cut you a copy with your VIN #. Most times they'll require your owners card and identification, but that could save you time pulling all the locks and stuff...
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Working...
                          X