Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have this problem?

It's not as much of a problem as it is an irritation.

Every once in a while I'll go to start my Festiva, and the starter makes this horrible grinding noise, like I was trying to crank a running engine. I usually have to wait a moment, and then the starter will crank the engine like normal.

A few of my Festivas have had this problem before but I never could figure out the cause. Stripped teeth on the starter or flywheel maybe?

Anybody else's Festiva do this too?

-Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Yes could be either or - or both pull starter and inspect all the teeth on the flywheel
    ROBc

Comment

I am anxiously waiting for an answer to this question, because 2 of mine do it on occassion, also.
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

I think most probably it would be the solenoid that pushes the gear on the starter out is rusted or giving out. Thus not pushing out to its normal operating length thus causing the grinding noise. Change the starter.
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

If the Festiva uses a starter drive like late model (not new) GM cars, it could very likely be a worn starter drive. If it is, sooner or later, it will wear/tear the teeth off the starter gear and/or flywheel.

Comment

The starter is on its way out. Mine was doing this.. it steadlly got worse 'till it left me stranded 200 miles from home.

The teeth on the starter and the flywheel were fine, I took the starter out and lubed the thing that slides the gear forward to death, and it got me home.
            Last edited by stefan; 12-15-2008, 08:22 PM.
            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
            RIP 90LX

Comment

happens to me too... i don't worry about it as i have several parts cars now...
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X