The More Things Change....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The More Things Change....

I saw a 1984 Honda Civic Wagon today in mint condition! It made me think of the Honda Fit. This site compares the two. Thought you all might find it interesting to see Honda has not come as far as we might think.

Honda used to have the motto "We make it simple."

Not any more!

Hondas have gotten larger, heavier and more expensive and complicated over the years. My '81 Civic DX weighed around 1950 pounds. New Civics weigh well over 2500 pounds. I bet some of them weigh almost 1000 more pounds! Insane.

New Civics weigh more than the original Accord, which was probably around 2100 pounds or so.

I'd love to have a mint 1981 Accord or Civic. They were SIMPLE back then. Now, the Festiva has replaced their idea, as long as we can keep them running.

Ten or fifteen years ago, if Detroit had expanded upon the idea of simplicity, thrift and fuel economy, we would be in such better shape now. They wouldn't need any baillout because their cars would be affordable and they would have been researching newer technologies.

Now the change will be both expensive and harsh, instead of slow and steady.

People had to have their power door handles and heated bumper covers with the platinum gold convenience packages.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Carl 15 yesrs ago The big three built what the people wanted,trucks and suv's,now with the price of gas getting so high everyone wants something small with good mpg's

In 1991 the Ford Explorer came out It was the number 1 selling suv for years, why because thats what people wanted!

When Caddy made the short body cars,they lost alot of sales to Lincoln!
      The reason GM started back making rear wheel drive cars,people want them!

The bottom line Carl,The Big Three built what the people wanted!

Oh and Carl guess why Hondas,Toyotas and Nissans are much bigger than 15years ago!
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

I actually was about to drive an 80 something civic and I liked it.

Comment

Working...
        X