Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody's gas milage go down in colder weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody's gas milage go down in colder weather?

I've noticed a recent drop in milage since it has been colder. During Sept and Oct I was getting an easy 40mpg without trying. It is now down around 35mpg with the same driving habits. I'm not letting it warm up in the drive way I give it a minute when I leave just as I do during the warmer times. Anyone else have this happen? Thanks

YES!!! Alot! And not just in my Festy. It sucks....no pun intended.
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

That's normal. Winter blend of gas, colder parts, longer warm up. etc.
      1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
      1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
      1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
      1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
      1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
      1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
      1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

oh yeah! Mn. winters kill MPG, but still getting twice as much as those domestic POS out there.
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Yes, the MN winters do indeed suck!!
          -Josh R

Comment

i think gas quality had dropped as well since they were trying to bring prices down
            YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Mine always goes down a little in the winter, but this year it has dropped more than before. I think it is because all gas around here is now a blend of 10 percent alcohol. Can't find pure gas around here no more.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Ya... Remote starting 15mins before I leave every time dosent help ither
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

I have noticed this as well and wondered if if was a tuning issue. We have full strength gas here but you have to pay 15 cents more a gallon. Everybody's selling up to a 10% ethanol blend here and back when it was over $3.00 a gallon I tried a couple tanks of the straight gas because I'd heard from friends that it added 3-5% to their mileage. It makes more sense to pay the extra 15 cents at $3 than it does at today's $1.47. I'd be paying $1.50 to squeak out an extra 15-20 miles at $3/gal back then but today I'd have to realize 10%+/- increase in MPG to even break even money wise on the straight gas. Regardless, I didn't notice a significant difference in mileage so I quit.
                  1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
                  1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
                  1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
                  FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

All of the above could be contributing factors. Especially the longer warm up periods possibly compunded by short hauls.

Also....What does the temp gauge display....I'm thinking that if the t'stat is opening to early....the engine will not reach optimum temp causing the engine to run a little rich and not as efficient. The gauge should be in the middle....providing the sending unit and gauge are functioning properly.
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Look at the brite side,instead of wasteing gas at $3.50 or $4.00 per gallon, we're doing it at $1.50 a gallon or less!
                      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                      99 Dodge Caravan SE
                      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

WooHooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
                        1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
                        1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
                        1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
                        FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
                          All of the above could be contributing factors. Especially the longer warm up periods possibly compunded by short hauls.

Also....What does the temp gauge display....I'm thinking that if the t'stat is opening to early....the engine will not reach optimum temp causing the engine to run a little rich and not as efficient. The gauge should be in the middle....providing the sending unit and gauge are functioning properly.
                          My temperature gauge on my '93 Festiva never moves much above the "C" on "Cold", I probably do need a thermostat.

Nonetheless, on my 48 mile round-trip commute, about half city and half country, I'm still getting 420 miles out of every 9.5 gallons of gas, for 44 MPG overall. I have the tires at 38 PSI all round, and I short-shift the 5 speed, going just enough to keep up with traffic. I cruise at 58 MPH in the 60 MPH zone, and never go above 60 even in the 65 MPH zone.

A barrel of fun to drive, and saving money while I do!:p

Lannis

Comment

Working...
                          X