Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I work on my taurus wagon or let it R.I.P. for now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you that the first generation Taurus is the best looking one.

Just some thoughts you've doubtless considered already but that haven't been mentioned. Is the front crossmember low enough for a V8 to clear in conventional orientation? Sure, you could add a gompy hood scoop, but IMHO it would be coolest to keep it looking like a totally stock Taurus, aside from the the side windows.

Do you think you'll be able to use the same front suspension? I suppose you could knock the CV joints apart and turn the end of that off to keep just the spline and the part of the joint just beyond the joint to keep the hub together. If you do this thing, you really ought to try to keep the suspension setup the same, both to keep something simple, and to preserve what was engineered specifically for the wagons - I remember reading back when they were new that the wagon and sedan suspensions were different.

For the rear axle, how about independent RWD, like from a Corvette?

And of course you'll have to add a driveshaft tunnel, so you'll have to re-engineer seating too.

But, after the dust settles, there's a big thing to consider. With a big-ass V8 and probably (??) a cast iron 4-spd, the weight distribution and handling will probably be awful.

Comment

I'm still in the consideration stage of this project right now, and you've brought up some interesting points, especially about the suspension. I know it will be a very clumsy car, and definitely not very good on the road. But hey, it will look and sound good, and if I set everything up right it might even be an interesting twist at the dragstrip. There's been a few SHO draggin' wagons in the past, but nothing like this that I know of. Its just for fun and wasting time mostly... and to make use of that taurus shell I have sitting in out back...
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
      X