how Smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how Smart?

Here are the statistics from the official SMARTUSA website; which seem to suggest my '91 Festiva 5-speed gets better gas mileage; and weighs less, than the new two-seat Smart Car.(?)

I've looked at a couple of these close up, and am surprised if accurate that they are no more efficient than claimed. They are certainly a good deal smaller.(even though weighing more than my Festiva; apparently?)

I'd been thinking that if certain limits were made for the manufacture of cars; that they could perform much the same duties and yet with a huge reduction in expenses of production, operation and infrastructure.

What would a top speed of 55 mph combined with a top weight of a thousand pounds and a limit of 600cc produce, for instance? The need for substantial crash resistance would be reduced if most vehicles were smaller, and the demands for maintenance of roadways would lessen, not to mention full consumption growing less and longevity increasing if reasonable production standards were used.

Imagine a top speed of 35 mph, a 500 pound weight limit and 250cc engine limit; and/or whatever might make use of solar powered road craft feasible?

Whose imagination is so conditioned to the status quo to deny the obvious, even to the end of such powers like the big three; who've so consistently shown their commitment to the largest, most inefficient of vehicles; and have influenced many other producers to follow this lead?(purchase of which seems to this source, to confirm a desire to see mobility the province of a favored few; rather than one prerogative of the majority...)

post script: pain in the you know what department. I'm consistently dumbfounded as to how to disable the "smilie" function, which is obvious in this post. Why is this so difficult at this website, when at others there is a simple selection at the bottom of the page when a post is made, which enables them to be disabled?(I think I've succeeded once here at this, but which was so confusing I've never been able to duplicate my feat)

Technical Data smart fortwo 52 kW

Engine
    Displacement 1 liter / 61 cu inch
    Number of cylinders/ configuration three in-line
    Engine block/cylinder head aluminium
    Valves four per cylinder
    Engine capacity 61 cubic inch
    Bore x stroke 2.83 x 3.22 inches
    Rated output 70 hp @ 5800 rpms
    Max. torque 68 lb ft @ 4500
    Oil 3.5 qt (incl. filter)
    Coolant
    4.5 qt
    Fuel delivery
    electronic multipoint injection
    Recommended fuel premium unleaded gasoline (min 91 octane)
    Federal emissions BIN5 / ULEV (Cal.)

Power transmission
    Clutch single-plate dry clutch
    Transmission automated manual five-speed Transmission
    Gear ratios: 1st (3.308)
    2nd (1.913)
    3rd (1.258)
    4th (0.943)
    5th (0.707)
    Reverse (3.231)
    Final drive (4.529)

Running gear
    Front axle suspension lower wishbone, McPherson strut, anti-roll bar
    Rear axle suspension DeDion axle, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers

Brake system dual-circuit brake system with tandem servo assistance
    11 inch diameter disc brakes at front
    8 inch diameter drum brakes at rear
    electronic stability program (esp) with hill start assist
    anti-lock braking system (abs) with electronic brake-force distribution, traction control system, electronic brake assist

Steering
    rack-and-pinion steering

Wheels and tires (front/rear)

pure: steel, with wheel covers
    passion: aluminium wheels
    all-season tires on both models 155/60R15 on 4.5Jx15 (front),
    175/55R15 on 5.5Jx15 (rear)

Dimensions and weights
    Wheelbase 73.5 inches
    Track width front/rear 50.51 inches/54.53 inches
    Length 106.1 inches
    Width 61.38 inches
    Height 60.71 inches
    Headroom 39.7 inches
    Legroom 41.2 inches
    Shoulder room 48 inches
    Hip room 45.4 inches
    Passenger volume 45.4 cu. ft.
    Turning circle 28.7 ft
    Luggage compartment capacity 7.8 (up to beltline)/12 (to roof) cu. ft.
    ECE weight without driver 1,808 lbs (cabriolet: 1,852 lbs)
    ECE Payload 507 lbs (cabriolet: 463 lbs)
    ECE permissible maximum weight 2,315 lbs
    Fuel tank capacity (reserve) 8.7 gal (includes 1.3 gal reserve)

Performance

Maximum speed 90 mph
    Acceleration 0–60 mph 12.8 sec

Fuel consumption*
    City/highway (mpg) 33/41 (EPA 2008)

*Fuel economy estimates were derived in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) vehicle testing procedures for model year 2008 as specified in 40 C.F.R. pts. 86 and 600 (2007). These estimates are intended for comparison between other vehicles within the same class. Individual drivers’ actual mileage will vary depending on how they drive and maintain their vehicles.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

thats 38 mpg around town and 41 on the open road for the SMART CAR; which is about what I get with the Festiva or a slight bit better maybe...given 155R-13 tires and multiplying times 1.03 for speedometer/odometer accuracy; that seems most accurate to me though others have suggested for instance I multiply times 1.077 which would give a more optimal fuel mileage, etc.
    Last edited by bobstad; 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM. Reason: clarity
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Working...
    X