Starting to feel like a mechanic now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to feel like a mechanic now!

Got my '93 B6 on my new engine stand in my garage. Put my engine hoist (got it used for $90) folded out of the way in the corner and took off the wacked power steering pump I don't need anyway from the B6. (I'll scavenge it for any useful looking parts.)

Got a brand new Mazda 323/MX-3/etc. Haynes book from ebay for more info on the B6 to use.

Ordered low restriction cat and muffler from Jegs, got a tip on a custom exhaust shop to help me fab my new system when it's time.

Put up a new shelf in the garage where I'll put all the new parts ready to use, rehung my shop light from it.

Got a new water pump, timing belt, gaskets, RTV, and a few other things to freshen up the new engine before it's installed. Ordered new OEM O2 sensor.

Hmmm, I feel kinda like a mechanic now. I wonder if I'm deceiving myself!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

What, you're feeling over worked, under paid, despised by customers and abused by shop management?

that would be an honest mechanic, or 'technician'.

a less-than-reputable slinger of tools (grease monkey) would be overpaid (due to charging for work that didn't get done, or mis-diagnosing a concern), under worked (by not performing the repairs specified, or fabricating concerns and charging to 'fix' them), despised by true industry proffesionals AND their customers, and are often the ones doing the abusing.

Which one?
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

by the way,

the simple fact that you've taken the time to attempt to clean and organize your workspace usually qualifies you for the first group!
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
        What, you're feeling over worked, under paid, despised by customers and abused by shop management?

a less-than-reputable slinger of tools (grease monkey) would be overpaid (due to charging for work that didn't get done, or mis-diagnosing a concern), under worked (by not performing the repairs specified, or fabricating concerns and charging to 'fix' them), despised by true industry proffesionals AND their customers, and are often the ones doing the abusing.

Which one?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA When i saw the title of this thread i was about to say EXACTLY the same thing... Way to beat me to it Jim!

Comment

Which one?
          Hey Jim how's the job search going? Sounds like your still a bit frustrated. Hope you find something soon where you are well paid and respected by your customers and your boss
          I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Jim wrote:

"...less-than-reputable...would be overpaid (due to charging for work that didn't get done, or mis-diagnosing a concern), under worked (by not performing...fabricating concerns and charging to 'fix' them), despised by true industry profesionals AND their customers, and are often the ones doing the abusing."

Sounds like you've worked for Ohio State University too Jim!

Good luck with your job search!

Karl

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I'm anxiously awaiting word from Baltimore County College about whether or not I landed the Auto Tech Instructor job there. Hopefully by end of Friday I'll know... :?
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Karl

Comment

thanks! I won't tell you what I've got crossed!

oh, the pain!
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

A couple years ago I was looking into training to be a BMW mechanic. They get paid pretty good. Not as good as you'd expect for the person responsible for keeping millionares on the road, but better than the average dealer mechanic.
                    OX SMASH!!

Comment

honestly, right now, Nissan techs don't do half bad. But I'm trying to stay in education. We'll see.......
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

thanks! I won't tell you what I've got crossed!

oh, the pain!
                        wow... didn't know you COULD cross that.... ouch...

Comment

remember the movie 'There's something about Mary'?

"franks and beans! franks and beans!"

"Damn, son! How did you get the beans ON TOP of the frank?!"

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                          X